Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Repeat noise issue with Auburn, Yukon diff?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 06:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Default Repeat noise issue with Auburn, Yukon diff?

I have had 2 auburns chatter and moan while making sharp turns, both of them started within days of , or the day of the install, one of them you had to drive the car for a good 15 or so miles before it started to do it, it wouldn't do it cold. EDIT: This is WITH a fresh full bottle of Auburn friction modifier added in both installs

But anyway the rear end shop I am using has been doing rear ends for over 30 years and are very well known so I trust the work being done. They mentioned yesterday switching to a Yukon differential, they have always used auburns with no issues.

Has anyone heard of the Yukon diff? Any good? And if anyone has had the moaning and chattering issue from new auburns feel free too chime in. Hope this will solve the noise issue since the yukon is a clutch type and the auburn is a cone type lockup. Thanks in advance for any input..

-My main concern is input on the Yukon diff at this point since they are possibly swithching to using that over the auburn, I trust the auburn, just want to know if the Yukon is any good

http://www.yukongear.com/ProductDeta...px?ProdID=5304

http://www.yukongear.com/

This for a 10 bolt rear, in a auto car making mid 300 to the ground.

Any other diffs for the 10 bolt you guys suggest? Or any bad experiences with auburn?

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 02-23-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go to a ford dealership and get the motor craft additive and add some of that in there... happend to me in my truck guy told me that and i tried it... bam worked like a charm, it's like $15 but dont leave it in your car, IT STINKS SOOOOO BAD!!!! even if you have not opened it... mine was also a auburn
Old 02-23-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
go to a ford dealership and get the motor craft additive and add some of that in there... happend to me in my truck guy told me that and i tried it... bam worked like a charm, it's like $15 but dont leave it in your car, IT STINKS SOOOOO BAD!!!! even if you have not opened it... mine was also a auburn
Or just go to the GM dealer and get the GM Limited Slip Additive for $10...

On a brand new diff the additive is required, or you will experience the symptoms of chatter and lockup as the OP described in his post.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02

On a brand new diff the additive is required, or you will experience the symptoms of chatter and lockup as the OP described in his post.
^^^ x2
a clutch type limited slip (which the Aubron is )requires the additive. GM is about 10-15.00 per 4 oz bottle, I run 2 oz. per diff. oil change.

2 oz = more grip-more noise
4 oz= less grip-less noise

ps: I suggest running additive year around
Johnny
Old 02-23-2010, 10:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SS SLP2
^^^ x2
a clutch type limited slip (which the Aubron is )requires the additive. GM is about 10-15.00 per 4 oz bottle, I run 2 oz. per diff. oil change.

2 oz = more grip-more noise
4 oz= less grip-less noise

ps: I suggest running additive year around
Johnny

Thank you for your responses guys, the "additive" you guys are referring to is "friction modifier" unfortunately in both instances this was with the rear end coming straight out of the shop with fresh setups and a full bottle of Auburn friction modifier in the fluid so it doesn't seem to be that is the case. Unless you are saying you guys were having this problem while using the Auburn specific modifier and the other brands fixed it, I would think the Auburn specific modifier would be best though...

I have experienced this problem in other vehicles when people forgot to add modifier or it was worn, but mine is fresh, less than 100 miles it did it, actually less than 50. That is the first thing that came to mind. When I heard the noise I immediately picked up the phone and called the rear end shop and said "hey did you forget to put the friction modifier in?" I have been a tech most of my working life and in automotive the rest so I knew right away to suspect the "additive" but they are telling me that is not the case here so they are thinking of putting a Yukon diff in it. So now I want to know if anyone knows if the Yukon diff is any good

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 02-23-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Thank you for your responses guys, the "additive" you guys are referring to is "friction modifier" unfortunately in both instances this was with the rear end coming straight out of the shop with fresh setups and a full bottle of Auburn friction modifier in the fluid so it doesn't seem to be that is the case. Unless you are saying you guys were having this problem while using the Auburn specific modifier and the other brands fixed it, I would think the Auburn specific modifier would be best though...

I have experienced this problem in other vehicles when people forgot to add modifier or it was worn, but mine is fresh, less than 100 miles it did it, actually less than 50. That is the first thing that came to mind. When I heard the noise I immediately picked up the phone and called the rear end shop and said "hey did you forget to put the friction modifier in?" I have been a tech most of my working life and in automotive the rest so I knew right away to suspect the "additive" but they are telling me that is not the case here so they are thinking of putting a Yukon diff in it. So now I want to know if anyone knows if the Yukon diff is any good
I would try the GM Friction Modifier before replacing the differential. Just drain some fluid and add in the GM Limited Slip additive as is, too much won't hurt because obviously its still way too grabby.

If you try that and it still does the same thing, you must have got a defective Auburn unit with the clutch clearances set way too tight.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Veteran

I would try the GM Friction Modifier before replacing the differential. Just drain some fluid and add in the GM Limited Slip additive as is, too much won't hurt because obviously its still way too grabby.

If you try that and it still does the same thing, you must have got a defective Auburn unit with the clutch clearances set way too tight.
Thanks for the input I may have to resort to that, right now I want to try to avoid more modifier since the auburn came with a specific amount to use and generally there is no problems using the amount provided, and its crazy to have this happen twice in a row, im starting to think they just arent putting in the additive in the shop and the counter guy thinks they are... But its under warranty so its on their dime to do this over and over, and each time give me new carriers and bearings and gears.. But its getting old.

If for instance someone says the Yukon is junk that the shop is contemplating using then I may go the more modifier route, I think you are right and believe it may work, but at the same time if I run more modifier and it causes me to lose some of the lockup power then I dont really want that either.... so I will have to contemplate that one.

So can anyone provide feedback on Yukon differentials?

maybe I should make a specific thread for that question?
Old 02-23-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

from the looks of the pic in the site you referenced,it looks like,and I could be TOTALLY wrong,Yukon could be repackaging an Eaton unit.
http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc...iLSD/index.htm
Old 02-23-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
from the looks of the pic in the site you referenced,it looks like,and I could be TOTALLY wrong,Yukon could be repackaging an Eaton unit.
http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc...iLSD/index.htm
thank you for that, I been doing some more reading and from what I read it is actually a copy of the eaton and eaton is aware of it. I read something that said the maker of the diff told eaton he was going to copy it and they shrugged it off like they didnt care. Dont know how much truth there is to that. I have made a few calls today and that Yukon brand is used in a lot of offroad applications and has proven to hold up well. So I am going to assume it is actually a good differential and maybe a new option to be considered. I so far am feeling pretty good about the brand after reading some info on the net today and talking to a offroad shop about them.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

when i rebuilt my diff i used the stuff they sent and it was quite, then after 500 miles i was going to do a flush and used the GM "friction modifier" and it started to chatter

what i said above... lol
Old 02-25-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

or if anything just add more additive...
Old 02-26-2010, 09:20 AM
TECH Veteran

or if anything just add more additive...
Ok so I ended up talking to the shop and to Auburn, we came to the conclusion that the weight oil they were using was incorrect as far as what Auburn specifies to use, Auburn says to use a Non synthetic 80-90 GL5, the shop was using a 85-140 Non synthetic and had never had a problem with using it before and has installed countless Auburn's. Also Auburn said to use 2 oz of modifier per quart of fluid, the shop put in 6 oz Auburn modifier and the rear end holds a little under 3 quarts so the ratio was good but it still acted up.

So it is fixed now by the way, and the way they fixed was by ordering 80-90W GL5 from chevrolet and 8oz of GM modifier.

Auburn recommended just adding more modifier if it was chattering and that it would not affect the amount of grip the cones can obtain.

Thanks for all the responses guys.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:20 AM
Teching In

Ok so I ended up talking to the shop and to Auburn, we came to the conclusion that the weight oil they were using was incorrect as far as what Auburn specifies to use, Auburn says to use a Non synthetic 80-90 GL5, the shop was using a 85-140 Non synthetic and had never had a problem with using it before and has installed countless Auburn's. Also Auburn said to use 2 oz of modifier per quart of fluid, the shop put in 6 oz Auburn modifier and the rear end holds a little under 3 quarts so the ratio was good but it still acted up.

So it is fixed now by the way, and the way they fixed was by ordering 80-90W GL5 from chevrolet and 8oz of GM modifier.

Auburn recommended just adding more modifier if it was chattering and that it would not affect the amount of grip the cones can obtain.

Thanks for all the responses guys.

Bingo dude !!! my Auburn Limited Slip was humming and whining so bad I almost needed ear plugs driving down the road.... I had the Auburn limitied slip and 4.10 gears installed from 4wheel parts ... I took it back 3 times... each time they opened up the diff and there was NO damage of any kind, no metal flakes, no broken parts, no loose parts... they told me that the Auburn is just loud LOL...

I called Auburn and they said I needed 80-90W with GM limited slip additive, got the gear oil... went home pulled the cover and swaped out the new gear oil with additive... went down the road and it quieted down so much that I was almost laughing by how happy I was that fixed it LOL

that was 2 years ago and its still nice and quiet
Old 04-11-2015, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

My professional opinion is the Auburn is cheap junk. They don't even balance them, plus the case and clutch design is fred flinstone. I'd buy the Eaton or Yukon, anything else is a waste of your time. The torsen is a great functioning unit but its fragile.

Here is a great Torsen replacement that won't break easily. This is what I would use http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrai...FSJk7Aodgm0AkQ

Last edited by RockinWs6; 04-11-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:00 PM

I would question your "profesional" opinion since you're calling any worm gear type device a torsen diff.
I would recommend expending your knowledge for true torsen patented deferential.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

What the hell do you know? You can't even spell differential! My azz hairs forgot more than you know about DIFFERENTIALS!
Old 11-22-2016, 12:55 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

^ Take it easy guys.

I've had no quality related or premature failure issues with my Auburns at all, both stock and aftermarket high bias (though the high bias ones do tend to wear more quickly.) Definitely not junk in my experience. They just happen to be more picky about lube type/weight than some other options.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

The Auburns cone clutches wear out quickly and are not balanced. I installed one and the car had a vibration that got worse with speed. Pulled the auburn out and sure enough it was way out of balance.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Auburns are absolutely junk if you do anything more than drive the car calmly as a daily driver. Even the "racers" high bias diff, what a load. Killed three of those things in three summers, and I'm not the only one with that experience. Like rockin said, they are cheaply manufactured junk.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

RPM WS6, honest question here: How long ago was the last unit you installed that worked well for you? I, along with others have chosen the high bias units based on glowing reviews for autocross/road course use from people who have used that unit for years. However, none of us can get the newer units to last before they fail. I'm seriously wondering if Auburn's quality has gone downhill within the last few years. Could be a situation like some have experienced with the Torsen T2R, the high bias unit. They used to be considered the best for handling applications, and I know somewhere along the line they switched to a lesser quality material, and people started breaking cases as they became very fragile.

I still think the cone clutches in a 7.5 ten bolt unit are too small to handle the power an average LS engine makes. But that's more the fault of GM putting such and undersized rear in these cars.

Quick Reply: Repeat noise issue with Auburn, Yukon diff?