Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

My experience with a Detroit Locker...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ill post up on my locker exp. when i get my rearend ordered/installed ( in a couple months probably )

im goin with a locker behind a m6.
wavetrack is too much money right now, and im making too much powa for a true-trac, and my wheel/tire combo is no good for a spool lol. 18x12 w/335's
Old 03-27-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a 35 spline locker in my car. I daily drove it for a few months with a dying T-56. What I noticed is that the locker, likely because of the slop between the castleation teeth, causes a change in the speed of the output shaft of the trans when you disengage the clutch to shift. Normal shift timing, as most people shift casually driving, seems to maximize the impact on the synchronizing action in the trans. Simply put, this slop upsets the normal synchronizing because they are trying to compensate a speed match for TWO changing shaft speeds. It presents itself by light grinding between shifts. The way I found to counteract this is by fast shifting which is harder on the synchros or by delaying the shift, i.e. pausing in neutral for a 1/2 second longer before engaging the next gear. This allows the castleation to shift from the drive edge to the coast edge of the spyder, stabilizing output shaft speed. I also tried to pull into neutral, adding a pause, and then clutching and pulling the next gear. This both alleviated the grinding totally in my situation EXCEPT in 5th gear which had gear damage as I later found out upon disassembly of the trans for faceplating. After faceplating the trans, I also found this last method of shifting worked for daily driving the faceplated trans. In total, I drove the car with the locker for over a year without any problems out of the rebuilt faceplated trans, clutch, or differential.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i've had my locker in since 2004 with 15,000+ miles. its a pain in the *** to get used to but once u do it really isn't that bad. and my trans has been through hell and back with the way i launch with 82,000 original miles. my trans has only had problems due to me missing shifts cause of my clutch master not bein adjusted properly. and one of my buddies has the same exact set up and loves his locker too.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:59 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is part of the exact reason I will be spending the extra coin on a wavelock.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Update

OK.......So its been a year. This thing is eating away at my patience like cancer. Its not the turning and parking thats the problem, Its everytime i give it gas it BANGS and I hear & feel it and watch my speedo needle jump.....And when you let off the gas there is another thump. What kind of BS it that? Also, when your at a red light, and then you go foward and its not locked, it slips for a split second and then bangs and goes. Imagine If I really nailed the gas like that....How could I??? Now I have no money to change it back, and I feel like **** because of it. I dont even want to drive the car anymore.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I completely understand how you feel. I had the exact same situation... I had a 9 inch with detroit locker and it made driving the truck I spent 3 years building a terror to drive. All the symtoms you describe I have experienced and yes, it made me feel sick everytime I drove my truck. I made the decision to get rid of it the day I was passing a volvo and the truck did its usual dart left and right as the locker locked and unlocked. I installed a wavetrac a few weeks ago and the difference is night and day. I absolutly love my truck again. Its smooth, lights up both tires, no noise and totally worth the money.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

as stated in my post # 4 , I ran locker 6-7 years back in '60s with a std, 6-7 years '00 s in 10 bolt/a4, and 6 months in a4/9" strip/street
and I never had any problems with handling, would not be with out one
just my .02' Johnny
Old 05-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Teching In

probably 75%of the cars here in york pa run spools,running a locker would seem easy aside from a little noise.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

So most of you guys with lockers and automatics are getting a horrible bang occassionaly when going from park-reverse-drive and vice versa? I wasnt sure if it was the locker or just an aggressisve valve body from my built trans, I swapped from an m6 so I had never experienced it before so I assumed it was the trans.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love detroit lockers I have them in all of my rear wheel drive cars, if you dd/drag race alot then you can't beat it. I have a truetrac in my S60 rear but they're only rated for 600rwhp, and there's a guy on this board with a 2000 SS with an S60/truetrac and he has video of launching the car and the car kept pulling to the left, launch after launch. He finally figured out that the problem was the truetrac and he swapped to a spool. Since I plan on doing lots of drag racing I'm going to the detroit locker. Got a S60 truetrac for sale along with a set of 3.73 gears and a cast aluminum rear cover if anyone is interested.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The Detroit Locker might be the Mike Tyson of the diff world, but I like it. Every once in a while it screams "I'll eat your children" but I just LMAO and keep on going. Everyone else in the car ***** their pants though.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 4SFEDSS
So most of you guys with lockers and automatics are getting a horrible bang occassionaly when going from park-reverse-drive and vice versa? I wasnt sure if it was the locker or just an aggressisve valve body from my built trans, I swapped from an m6 so I had never experienced it before so I assumed it was the trans.
Yes, it's because you can grab the driveshaft and rotate it nearly 180 degrees. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 10-23-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Yes, it's because you can grab the driveshaft and rotate it nearly 180 degrees. Bob
Im considering a wave trac, is the price on your site the best you can give me?
Old 10-23-2011, 10:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Im considering a wave trac, is the price on your site the best you can give me?
It is unless you find a lower price. My prices include free shipping and I make very little on each sale. I normally break even on the ones that go to Oregon and the state of Washington. Thanks. Bob

Old 10-24-2011, 12:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 97Z28SS
I love detroit lockers I have them in all of my rear wheel drive cars, if you dd/drag race alot then you can't beat it. I have a truetrac in my S60 rear but they're only rated for 600rwhp, and there's a guy on this board with a 2000 SS with an S60/truetrac and he has video of launching the car and the car kept pulling to the left, launch after launch. He finally figured out that the problem was the truetrac and he swapped to a spool. Since I plan on doing lots of drag racing I'm going to the detroit locker. Got a S60 truetrac for sale along with a set of 3.73 gears and a cast aluminum rear cover if anyone is interested.
I thought the true trac in the S60 was bulletproof?
Old 10-24-2011, 09:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
It is unless you find a lower price. My prices include free shipping and I make very little on each sale. I normally break even on the ones that go to Oregon and the state of Washington. Thanks. Bob
I have a quick question, i currenty have 31 spline axles and a 3.250 bearing housing, if I do go with wave trac can I get the one for 31 spline and 3.062 bearings and just get adapter races that have the correct id for the 3.062 bearing but have the od for the 3.250 case?
Old 10-24-2011, 10:55 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I have a quick question, i currenty have 31 spline axles and a 3.250 bearing housing, if I do go with wave trac can I get the one for 31 spline and 3.062 bearings and just get adapter races that have the correct id for the 3.062 bearing but have the od for the 3.250 case?
There is no such bushing. For using the Wavetrac for the power it can handle, it is not a bad idea to upgrade to 35 spline axles anyway. Bob

Old 10-24-2011, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmmmm... http://www.diffsonly.com/catalog/pro...c4743ce4645c95

Mark williams also makes one.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:37 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can get you the Wavetrac that you need with the correct bearing race you are asking about and not an adapter and have them here in stock.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:43 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Cool, good deal. Moser doesn't offer one because I checked for you, but good to see you can find them. Before you shell out the money for the Wavetrac, you might want to figure out whether you want the 31 spline axles to limit you. I don't care who you buy the Wavetrac through, just know what your goals down the road may be before you place your order. Bob

Quick Reply: My experience with a Detroit Locker...