Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Pinion Seals are fucking annoying!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pinion Seals are ******* annoying!

So ever since I have had my Moser 12 bolt I have had nothing but problems with it. (Dont bother telling me to go talk to Moser because we all know they wont do **** about their problems.)

Anyway while having the backlash and gear tooth pattern corrected I had the pinion seal replaced because it leaked like crazy. Well finally after getting the rear end back in and 40 miles later the new pinion seal is leaking. This is the second pinion seal from Moser that is leaking.

So are there any opinions on this because this is really starting to **** me off that I have to baby this ******* rear end that I bought to drive on.

Matt-
Old 03-18-2010, 05:23 PM
FormerVendor

Brand of seal?
Pinion Angle?
Bad Ujoint?
Loose Pinion?
Grooved Pinion Yoke?

These are the most common reasons we see pinion seals leaking.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jawsgear
Brand of seal?
Pinion Angle?
Bad Ujoint?
Loose Pinion?
Grooved Pinion Yoke?

These are the most common reasons we see pinion seals leaking.
Whatever Moser uses
-2*
New Ujoints in my PST driveshaft
No Just set up
No brand new with
Old 03-20-2010, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

this may be something that some people advise against. but i rebuilt an astro van twice with the same issue. after two or three days the customer would come back with that dam pinion leaking. come to find out that we set it up correctly. Pinon bearing preload and so on. we found the housing had a little bit of a burr in it which caused a leak. pulled the old seal got a new one and added a little silicone around the outter edge where it presses into the houseing. no more leaks and the customer was happy. just one thing to try. also just make sure that pinion bearing pre-load is correct.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00ssmg
this may be something that some people advise against. but i rebuilt an astro van twice with the same issue. after two or three days the customer would come back with that dam pinion leaking. come to find out that we set it up correctly. Pinon bearing preload and so on. we found the housing had a little bit of a burr in it which caused a leak. pulled the old seal got a new one and added a little silicone around the outter edge where it presses into the houseing. no more leaks and the customer was happy. just one thing to try. also just make sure that pinion bearing pre-load is correct.
Plus one, my rearend builder did this after my new 12 bolt was leaking there, He used some type of silicone glue. Hasn't leaked since. however my driver side axle seal is starting to leak.