Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9" with Detriot Tru-Trac Making Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bob i have tried emailing you as well, if you can contact me ASAP, the 23rd was the date i purchased it a year ago, and moser and eaton have been of no help, i call and email them with no response. if you can get back with me soon id appeciate this!
Old 04-19-2010, 06:21 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 94 s dime
bob i have tried emailing you as well, if you can contact me ASAP, the 23rd was the date i purchased it a year ago, and moser and eaton have been of no help, i call and email them with no response. if you can get back with me soon id appeciate this!
I pm'd you this morning. Thanks. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 06-02-2011, 08:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default true-crap

Sorry for bring this one back to life, but Mine had been popping around slow speed right and left turns too for about a 8 mo. I decided to start tearing things apart this evening. I haven't removed the pumpkin yet to inspect the true-crap and found my drivers side axle jacked up and almost twisted right off.

OP what was the outcome from your scenario? I hope I don't have to buy another diff. Axle is a given, but another diff is expensive as hell.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:50 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

it seems like i'm getting this all too common Tru-Trac clunk, and it's a MEAN clunk....but it's only on slow corners when i have very little throttle imput, give it more throttle the clunk goes away...coast, with it in gear clutch out, no clunk. reverse...no clunk, even with throttle. happens on both left and right hand corners, and it's getting worse after my last trip to the track. still drives straight under heavy acceleration, no pull left or right, and both wheels still burnout. Does this sound like the posi unit is going bad?
Old 06-22-2011, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by S.O.MWS6
it seems like i'm getting this all too common Tru-Trac clunk, and it's a MEAN clunk....but it's only on slow corners when i have very little throttle imput, give it more throttle the clunk goes away...coast, with it in gear clutch out, no clunk. reverse...no clunk, even with throttle. happens on both left and right hand corners, and it's getting worse after my last trip to the track. still drives straight under heavy acceleration, no pull left or right, and both wheels still burnout. Does this sound like the posi unit is going bad?
Yep... According to Moser the truetrac is binding/failing and when it releases it is creating a shock load on the driver’s side gear only (which is why only one axle is twisting). Better park her and pull the axles to check them.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Launching!

yea i twisted up my left axle as well. and i tore my trutrak apart and teh spiral gears are not looking healthy. still worked but same deal popping/ clunking under light throttle. damn DOT slicks killed it. i imagine the two step didnt help one bit
Old 06-24-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 94 s dime
well after the track today, had some 6k dumps and now the rear "pops"
around right turns? drives fine straight, both wheels spin, no other abnormalitys besides the occasional right turn pop.. anyone else had a similar issue, or did i trash the carrier? it is only a H/C car... hopefully someone chimes in before i tear into this thing tomorrow! thanks
I have read about this way too many times ... that is why I went with 35-spline pro-race axles and a spool in my S60. Hopefully, bulletproof ... !

I will be interested to see what the problem is and what you end up with.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

This problem does not happen with the Trac-Loc, only the Truetrac. The Truetrac use to be a very good differential until the company got bought out, sometime back around 2006. Since then quite a few people have been having this problem occur with them. Bob

Old 12-26-2011, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have only about 10 miles on my setup and when I perform a slow turn to the right I hear a poping noise and it sounds like its coming from the rear end mainly near the wheel.

This couldn't be a Trutrac failure this early
Old 12-27-2011, 06:07 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by T/A KID
I have only about 10 miles on my setup and when I perform a slow turn to the right I hear a poping noise and it sounds like its coming from the rear end mainly near the wheel.

This couldn't be a Trutrac failure this early
Check to make sure the floors sheetmetal is not rubbing the torque arm bracket. Bob

Old 04-21-2013, 06:24 PM
10 Second Club

So what so we get if these trutracs don't work? Mine is doing the same thing after my last race day last season. Right turn makes a poping noise.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have detroit true trac also, 200 miles and counting up, no slicks yet but i hope that it will stay good. i dont really track the car though only street duty.

If in case the true trac goes bad, and i want to get wave trac do i need to change the axles also? they are 31 splines btw.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by raysadude
i have detroit true trac also, 200 miles and counting up, no slicks yet but i hope that it will stay good. i dont really track the car though only street duty.

If in case the true trac goes bad, and i want to get wave trac do i need to change the axles also? they are 31 splines btw.
You will only have to change the drives side axle. I went with a wavetrac after my true-crap and haven't had a damn problem since.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1HIGHLIFE
You will only have to change the drives side axle. I went with a wavetrac after my true-crap and haven't had a damn problem since.
i see, that's good to know. i didn't know that wave trac comes with 31 splines, i thought they only utilize 35 splines?
Old 04-21-2013, 10:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by raysadude
i see, that's good to know. i didn't know that wave trac comes with 31 splines, i thought they only utilize 35 splines?
In 2011 i purchased mine with 31 spline. not sure if they still roll with that or the stronger 35s.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Moser rear end with tru trac

Originally Posted by EPP
The popping could be your torque arm, so inspect it before going further. The popping sound though is what most people here when a Truetrac is on it's way to self destruction. I wouldn't drive it anymore before you find what it is. Bob
I picked my car up last Friday after installation of a new Moser rear end with tru trac and I have a popping sound when turning left and also a whine in the rear end. The popping sound occurs when turning left and when slowing to a stop. Also have a slight whine in the rear end. This does not seem normal for a very expensive new rear end. Comments please. Only fifty miles on the rear end.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:07 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Groesbeck
I picked my car up last Friday after installation of a new Moser rear end with tru trac and I have a popping sound when turning left and also a whine in the rear end. The popping sound occurs when turning left and when slowing to a stop. Also have a slight whine in the rear end. This does not seem normal for a very expensive new rear end. Comments please. Only fifty miles on the rear end.
If it's popping when you are slowing down to a stop then it may be something loose from the install. Double check all your bolts (lower control arms, torque arm, pan hard rod). If it's still doing it then the true-crap, is crap. With the whining, it is what it is. After-market gears just do that.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:08 AM
Staging Lane

Default Moser 9" with tru trac List of components

GM F-Body Bolt-In Pk

Moser Perf Nodular Case

Truetrac Posi

#PS028 - Alum Daytona Support

Setup Kit - 28 sp Pinion

1350 Pinion Yoke-steel

Moser P/S Gear - 3.50-4.57

Channel ABS w/exc. Rings

This is list of what was installed and have the popping sound and whine.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:24 AM
10 Second Club

Id just send the diff back. Don't start messing with it, you might void the warranty
Old 04-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

I have a call into Moser regarding the clanking noise in my new Moser 9" rear end with true trac. Also sent e-mails to Moser with exerpts from other members regarding the noise in the new rear end. I purchased the Moser Rear end based on recommendation from some local shops. Are they a reputable company? I have just talked with Mike McCombs of Moser and he said that he is not aware of the issue of the clanking or bumping sound in the rear end and he said that there are probably one million of these units out there. He suggested that the members of LS1 tech were doing more posting than making calls to the manufacturer. Mike seemed to be a head's up guy. Putting car on lift later this afternoon to inspect.

Last edited by Groesbeck; 04-22-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Moser 9" with Detriot Tru-Trac Making Noise?