Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

leaking seal! HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default leaking seal! HELP!!

It all started last week, i replaced both wheel bearings because i knew my pass side was bad and heres where it got interesting. Driver side was normal. popped the bearing and seal out and replaced them with the reg timken bearing.

Now on the pass side i noticed that it had the axle repair bearing or the timken "kit" where it moves the bearing out a little so it rides on a different part of the axle. Well the "kit" says its an oem replacement bearing. after looking at both I wanted to put the reg bearing and seal in. after that i buttoned it all up and was on my way.

A day after that i noticed a bad vibration on the highway coming from the pass side, so I went and inspected it, after pulling the bearing out, I noticed metal shavings around the housing, as if the bearing itself was walking in the housing. After alittle more research, come to find out that the "kit" bearing is alittle bit bigger than the reg timken bearing.

Well I went out and bought the "kit" bearing and now I cant get the damn thing to stop leaking. I did notice a minor chip on the housing but at the time I didnt think much of it. Anyone have any ideas? I'm low on money so a 12 bolt or 9" is out of the question.

Btw i took the spring coil out of the rubber seal and shorten it so it would seal around the axle better, So i know its not leaking out of the seal itself