Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

solid pinion spacer question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 12:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default solid pinion spacer question

I am in the process of changing ring and pinion, in my 10 bolt, and I think I want to go with the soild spacer. I am using my old bearings honed out to get my pattern correct and will be using new pinion bearings on final install. just wondering can you get you spacer mocked up with the old bearings as well, that way it is a quick adjustment, or do you have to use the new bearings to do this?

Thanks
Old 04-22-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You should do it with new bearings. Its outside of the big inner pinion bearing so go ahead and press that on when you are ready for finally assembly. The solid spacer goes after that. I have noticed backlash will change .001 when going from mock up bearings to new ones. If you mock up the spacer with old bearings the figure may change on you once you put the new bearings on.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is what I was afraid of. Just to clarify, with the solid spacer all you have to do is tighten down the nut and check rotational load? If it is too easy, add shims, to hard reduce shims? Is that correct? Is there a certain torque for the nut? Sorry first time doing this..
Old 04-22-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

dunno the torque for the nut but I would assume an impact would be perfect. Yes you have the procedure correct. Its the opposite though, if its too easy to turn that means the shims are keeping the bearings too far apart so you reduce them. If its too hard to turn then the bearings are too close and you add shims to seperate them