Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

is it possible my 35 spline moser axle is bent???

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default is it possible my 35 spline moser axle is bent???

ok well my car seems to have a ginormous death wobble at 65mph+ and it doesnt go away with more speed like vibrations.... new tires all around and balanced, i know i NEED a front alignment for caster/camber badly (but the car does drive straight) and tis moser 9" rear was involved in an accident in my old car where the ******* driving my car slamed into a jersey barrier otalling out the old car which leads me to believe maybe he bent the driver side axle???? i lifted the rear of the car so the wheel can spin freely and started the car put it in gear and gave it gas...holding the revs the car seeme to bounce/shake a little while up on the jack is this normal since the tires arent making contact with anything??? i also tried looking at the rims to see if i could see any wobble in them but i cant see anyting but wobble in the tire which im sure is just the shape of the tire...

getting my front end alignment tomorro and have to drive on the hoghway to get t the place and i litteraly mean the entire car shakes as im at 65 mph or more...definition of death wobble is what i have....
Old 05-20-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pull the axle and check it its not that hard to pull it. Also it coul be the axle bearing just pull it and check it out.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:28 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by C Murda
ok well my car seems to have a ginormous death wobble at 65mph+ and it doesnt go away with more speed like vibrations.... new tires all around and balanced, i know i NEED a front alignment for caster/camber badly (but the car does drive straight) and tis moser 9" rear was involved in an accident in my old car where the ******* driving my car slamed into a jersey barrier otalling out the old car which leads me to believe maybe he bent the driver side axle???? i lifted the rear of the car so the wheel can spin freely and started the car put it in gear and gave it gas...holding the revs the car seeme to bounce/shake a little while up on the jack is this normal since the tires arent making contact with anything??? i also tried looking at the rims to see if i could see any wobble in them but i cant see anyting but wobble in the tire which im sure is just the shape of the tire...

getting my front end alignment tomorro and have to drive on the hoghway to get t the place and i litteraly mean the entire car shakes as im at 65 mph or more...definition of death wobble is what i have....
That is too bad about your old car! As has been posted, I'd pull the axle. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 05-21-2010, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea on my way to get the alignment now but this shake wobble doesnt feel like normal "frontend" wobble it shakes the entire car in a different way than ive felt before some im preparing myself to have to pull the axles....

hey bob seeing as youre a moser dealer how much would a driver side moser 35 spline axle cost? also do you know the part number for the bearings? im gonna hope its just a bearing...
Old 05-21-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok got the alignment and the death wobble continues! its definately coming from my rear shaking the ENTIRE car violently...to the point im sure people driving behind me can actually see the car shaking cause the seats, mirrors, hood...etc are all shaking bad... gonna pull apart the rear tomorro and see...

now on another possibility...is it bossible the rear end housing could be bent too??? from looking at it i cant notice anything... and how can i tell if the axle is bent? can i bring it to a shop?
Old 05-21-2010, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You should have a shop local that can check it. Check around pull it see if a machine shop or a driveline shop can check it.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go to harbor freight or sears and get a cheep dial indicator (15-30.00) jack up the car remove tire and check side movement and circumference of Axel and go from there
of find a friend and borrow one
good luck,Johnny

ps:may only be a tire with a broken belt, before removing tire and wheel ,put in gear and allow to rotate slow and look for side wabble or up and down movement or a place in tire tread whick looks worn more than the rest of tread

Last edited by SS SLP2; 05-21-2010 at 11:11 PM.

Quick Reply: is it possible my 35 spline moser axle is bent???