Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear End Rebuild: What to Buy? Where to get an Extra Inner Pinion Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear End Rebuild: What to Buy? Where to get an Extra Inner Pinion Bearing?

I am going to be rebuilding my rear end with a new ring and pinion.

The guy who is going to help me do it suggested that I buy an extra pinion bearing to help with setup. His plan is just to hone it out to a slip fit and use it as a spacer for setup.

I am also planning on getting motive performance 4.10s (broke my richmond 4.10s which whined like crazy). I want them to be quiet and I have read that motive's are pretty good.

What is the difference between the standard motives and the motive performance?

Also planning on getting a rebuild kit. Car is just under 100k miles - should I get one with bearings, etc?

Anything else I am forgetting?

Whats the best place to buy from?
Old 06-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggest you contact Jaws Gear who is a sponsor. I bought GM OEM 3.73 gears from them and they were very helpful with lots of good info. on their website.

As for gears some people say the Motive gears are reasonably quiet, but GM OEM gears (made by AAM) are supposedly the quietest. I had some 4.10 Motives that were installed by the prior owner, so I have doubts they were setup correctly. They whined like crazy right up until I broke 4 teeth off the ring gear. 4.10's accelerate like crazy and are a blast in a 6-speed car, but they usually don't last as long. I personally loved my 4.10's but hated the gear noise and decided to try GM 3.73's in hopes of them lasting a little longer and being quieter. You may want to try the GM OEM 4.10 gears.
Good Luck.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Order a master install kitl, comes with all the bearings and seals. As far as a extra pinion bearing just use the old one, no sense in wasting the $35 for a good new one. I installed motive 4:10 in a buddys car and it was a good install but we just cant seem to get the whine completely gone. The box was black and yellow in color, I dont remember what model of motive gears they were but I know that one is louder than the other.

Dont forget to get some cheap fluid to run in the rear for the first 100 - 500 miles and then a good quality fluid after. If you can affort I would recommend a studgirdle / cover. The bearing cap preload helps and it makes life good when chaning the oil.

Axle bearing are impossible to change without the slide hammer tool you can rent at advance auto or autozone. Dont even attempt to do them with out it. It isnt necessary to change them but it is very easy when the housing is stripped down.

Just plan some time and have fun with it.