Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear end confusion

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 02:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end confusion

okay, here's my dilemma, on my 02 m6 i have just the typical bolt ons (lid, headers, MAF, exhaust, tune, etc.) but i also have aftermarket lcas, sfcs, panhards,and tower brace.

i know the 10 bolts on these cars wont hold up under many hard launches, i was just wondering if my rear end was in any real danger with the typical red-light street launches, and occasional drag pass, all on street tires.

this is my first ls1 build and i know a rear-end swap is inevitable, which is a better rear to run 3.73s(i drive highway quite a bit) the 12 bolt(found one locally for 300bucks off of an old chevelle, don't know if it'd work) or if a ford 9 inch or possibly a dana 60 would be more practical. also, how much fabricating/hammer beating things into place should i expect with one of these swaps?
Just trying to get a good estimate on what a new one will cost provided i do all the labor myself. any advice/help is greatly appreciated. i'm in a rural suburb of kansas city, mo if anyone knows any good shops that could sell me one around the area. thanks!
Old 06-28-2010, 04:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

https://www.brutespeed.com/rear_end_information.htm
The link here that I created may help you out. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 06-28-2010, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Bob, that was as close to a perfect answer as i could have asked for, looks like its gonna be a ford 9". thanks again for the awesome link