Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

were all ls1 driveshafts aluminum?

Old 07-02-2010, 07:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default were all ls1 driveshafts aluminum?

i was told that with a steel driveshaft, i won't make good power on the dyno. my car is a 99 ta. were all ls1 driveshafts aluminum, or just the ws6/ss cars?
Old 07-02-2010, 07:40 AM
11 Second Club

no, it depends on the gears

2.73 cars got steel, the rest aluminum
Old 07-02-2010, 07:52 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The difference will be neglible. Unless you want to swap one at the time your dyno'ing, you wont know on your car how much it changes.

Being Steel it is a little stronger and thats a PLUS.

In the end with different cars, they have different drivelines, different weights as far as wheels/tires combo goes so like said, defintly some variation.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by gillbot
no, it depends on the gears

2.73 cars got steel, the rest aluminum
yep, and I dont think it really makes a squat on a dyno.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:36 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
The difference will be neglible. Unless you want to swap one at the time your dyno'ing, you wont know on your car how much it changes.

Being Steel it is a little stronger and thats a PLUS.

In the end with different cars, they have different drivelines, different weights as far as wheels/tires combo goes so like said, defintly some variation.
the problem with the steel shaft is the critical speed. if you bump up shift points, the limiter or change gears, you can exceed the safe speed of the steel shaft and cause damage.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:57 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gillbot
the problem with the steel shaft is the critical speed. if you bump up shift points, the limiter or change gears, you can exceed the safe speed of the steel shaft and cause damage.
I have never seen nor witnessed a Stock Steel DS Grenading at Speed. I ran my 383 LT1 over 130 mph and never had it let go. So take it for what you will and I never had vibration issues.

I did at one point swap it out for a 3" Steel from Denny as it's their Nitrous Ready Unit and the car was HEAVY. I still use it today in my 6 Speed LS1 that pulls both wheels.

We did have TheChef (LS1tech Super Moderator) Grenade his LS1 Aluminum at a track rental trying to leave hard on a 9" 4.10's 5.5k dump. So with that said, it all depends on the situation.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

guess im glad i got an auto ta with a steel drive shaft. gotta say though, ive never felt anykind of vibration at 100+ speeds. Iv driven my car in germany on the autobahn and 140+ mph crusing speeds was common place with 100mph the normal speed limit at times. my drive line felt fine. now i dont know if my UMI suspention had anythign to do with the stability, but on on stock driveshaft and rearend and a stall and dont feel anything like that. i guess my 98 is just lucky. that or was built on a WEDnesday lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: were all ls1 driveshafts aluminum?