Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Choices of differentials in 12 bolt

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Choices of differentials in 12 bolt

I'm looking into getting a Moser 12 bolt for my '02 T/A and I need some input on which differential is best for my application. I'm making around 500whp, the car is a street/strip. I put around 6,000 miles on the car a year, but it also sees the track about twice a year. I've been told Auburns are strong and is one I should look into, but I've also heard that the clutches wear out on them fairly quick, and thats not something I want to deal with. I like the Zexel Torsen in my stock 10 bolt, but I hear aftermarket versions of torsen differentials are loud and not as strong.

Let me know your input, thanks!
Old 07-22-2010, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

nothin?
Old 07-23-2010, 12:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have the option of the Truetrac which is similar in design to the Zexel but much stronger or the Eaton Positraction which you can upgrade if you throw more power at the car. Either one would be a good choice for your application out of the box.

Jeff
Old 07-23-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've heard aftermarket worm-gear style differentials are noisy. I've heard the truetrac's are especially noisy. true?
Old 07-23-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a TrueTrac and the only time I had any issues with it making noise was when I screwed up and put synthetic gear oil in there, and even then it wasn't loud.

The WaveTrac is pretty ridiculous if you can afford it.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

oh ok, thanks for the input jimbo. but what do you mean by rediculous? I take it you mean the wavetrac's are pretty good?
Old 07-24-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a 30 spline Eaton posi unit with 3.73 gears for a 12 bolt with under 500 miles I would make you a hell of a deal on if you're interested.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBirds
I'm looking into getting a Moser 12 bolt for my '02 T/A and I need some input on which differential is best for my application. I'm making around 500whp, the car is a street/strip. I put around 6,000 miles on the car a year, but it also sees the track about twice a year. I've been told Auburns are strong and is one I should look into, but I've also heard that the clutches wear out on them fairly quick, and thats not something I want to deal with. I like the Zexel Torsen in my stock 10 bolt, but I hear aftermarket versions of torsen differentials are loud and not as strong.

Let me know your input, thanks!
I wouldn't go with a 12 bolt, I would go with a nine inch instead. I have info at this link as to why. https://www.brutespeed.com/rear_end_information.htm

Here are my prices on the Moser nine inch rears that are designed for these cars. http://shop.brutespeed.com/82-02-F-B...ar-Ends_c5.htm

Do you think you'll be staying at the 500 rwhp mark, or will you be adding more power in the future? The Wavetrac is more expensive but is what I would go with if you think you might up the power level at some future date. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 07-26-2010, 07:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

nah im looking for 4.11's, thanks though valkyn.

and thanks for the info bob, i read through your website and may go with the 9" if the 12 bolt does have problems with hard launches on slicks when making 500whp. I most likely will stick around 500whp, i dont see myself spraying or going with a power adder. The truetrac sounds like what I might want to go with. Like I said I love the zexel torsen differential. Its quiet and drives well. So I guess the aftermarket differential I'd want to go with is the one that is closest to the Zexel Torsen, yet strong enough to hold a launch with 500wrp and slicks.