Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Carbon fiber driveshaft are they worth it?

Old 07-27-2010, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon fiber driveshaft are they worth it?

I know they cost a good amount but are they worth it? Does anyone here use them? looking for opinions on a stock ls1 shaft versus PST Shaft to a carbon fiber shaft. I currently have H/C auto 4000 stall 4.10 gears. If i upgrade to a
9" or s60 is the carbon fiber worth the price over a PST 3.5" alluminum?
Old 07-28-2010, 02:20 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed to a PST on my personal car this year from a Strange chrome-moly to the PST carbon shaft. I was originally going to do the PST aluminum one but after talking with PST and the fact I like to cut down my rotating weight as much as possible I went with the carbon shaft.

Using the same Yoke my Strange drive shaft came with I saved some were around 10 pounds off the drive shaft.

Is it worth it? That depends on what you are doing I guess and were your budget is. The PST aluminum shafts are very light and nice as well and price great.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if it was worth it, but I've been running my PST carbon fiber DS for a few years at this point. 3.75" diameter, 1350 joints front and rear - it actually ended up weighing the same as the stock aluminum DS that came out, but should be way stronger than that coke can. I didn't notice any difference after putting it in, but didn't really expect to - I had no DS related vibrations before, and I certainly don't have any now. I just wanted a DS that I could trust behind a sticky clutch, and at the time, I had the extra money to blow on the carbon fiber piece.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also debating picking up a CF driveshaft....mainly because I'm a fan of the technology of carbon fiber and that this is actually a superb implementation of it instead of using it just for looks .

MWC - do you guys carry CF driveshafts from PST?

On a side note, I severely doubt that I will ever get close to actually putting down enough power to NEED a CF driveshaft, but if for whatever reason it ends up breaking, the thought of the CF just flaying apart instead of possible wreaking havoc on the underside of my car is pretty cool/comforting.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:18 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We can get carbon drive shafts from PST and do stock them in the proper length for our nine inch builds but not the carbon pieces. If interested I can get you one, just PM me for pricing.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I have them on my Mustang and Supra and love them
Just bought one for my LS and we will c how it goes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carbon fiber driveshaft are they worth it?