Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Tips for getting my UMI torque bar back on the moser 12 bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for getting my UMI torque bar back on the moser 12 bolt?

So I pulled the engine and everything came out, now that its all back in the only thing thats not is the torque bar. It is the non adjustable one. Problem is the pumpking on the moser 12 is angled so high I cant get the torque arm even close to alligning on the pumpkin. I have tried jacking the pumpkin up but that does not change the angle of the bolt holes it just brings the pumpkin up. What should I try next, removing the rear control arms and rear shocks? any tips would help as I dont think a prybar is going to help me in this situation, thanks
Old 07-29-2010, 10:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had a like problem while installimg a 9",used an old drag link from a old ford truck to bolt to the TA bracket on the 3 member pulled down the bracket to close to the correct angle, cut a 2x6 to the correct leight to wedge between the top of the 3 member amd the botton on car to hold the bracket angle down enough to install the TA
MAY BE REDNECK, but works for me
Johnny
Old 07-30-2010, 08:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Try unbolting the shocks like you mentioned to allow the rear end to rotate forward. Also if you have a sway bar on there unbolt the end links, control arms might need unbolted as well.

Once you get it on there make sure you use lock tight or tack weld those bolts in place. The Moser 12-Bolt is notorious for bolts coming loose and causing damage to aftermarket torque arms.

If you need anymore help call Jerry here at the office.

Thanks!
Ryan
Old 07-30-2010, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might try pulling the springs...I just put an adjustable torque arm and relocation mount setup on my car, and getting the torque arm far enough down so I could bolt the bushing mount to the crossmember on the ground was an absolute bear, because I was compressing the springs by pulling the axle down towards the front. I didn't notice until I let go of the torque arm and the springs forced it up - with my finger between the trans mount and the torque arm.

Fun times.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Once you get it on there make sure you use lock tight or tack weld those bolts in place. The Moser 12-Bolt is notorious for bolts coming loose and causing damage to aftermarket torque arms.

If you need anymore help call Jerry here at the office.

Thanks!
Ryan
you guys ever tried drilling a hole with the bolt tight and throwing a cotter pin through it? Just throwing out an idea I was considering trying myself.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Detroitmuscle
you guys ever tried drilling a hole with the bolt tight and throwing a cotter pin through it? Just throwing out an idea I was considering trying myself.

A cotter pin wouldn't work on the Moser 12-Bolt because the bolts thread into the housing unlike the stock rear end and others that use the two longer bolts. In this case it would be possible.

What you can do and what we have done is safety wire the bolts together. Drill a hole in each bolt head and attach them together with wire.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 07-30-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good point but also good idea with wiring the bolts together as well.