Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

This noise is freaking me out!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This noise is freaking me out!

Lately I've been hearing what seems to be a rattle of some sort coming from underneath my 2000 Camaro SS A4. This "rattle" has become more consistant and within the last few days, when I go to take off from a stop, I feel a clunk in the rear that resembles something sliding back in the trunk.. the only problem is that my trunk is empty! I feel these 2 noises are connected some how. Before I go ripping the rear out of my car does anyone have any suggestions to what it might be? The rattle had me thinking it was my exhaust was loose but now that I'm feeling this clunking I'm wondering if it's a universal joint.
What should i do?
Old 07-31-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried maybe getting under the car and shaking a few things? I'de do that before ripping out the rear.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

Have you checked your driveshaft u joints lately? Sound as if it may be a rear joint, also check your exhaust hangers and make sure they look ok. How many miles on this car?

Dub
Old 08-02-2010, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1993 z28 f1
Hey:

Have you checked your driveshaft u joints lately?

Dub
could be that too. have you checked your transmission mount ? when they start to wear, everything but the kitchen sink feels like it wants to fall out from under your car.