Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Carbon Fiber Driveshaft Durability

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 07:35 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK here is the issue with each type of material...

The CF used as per PST is epoxied, and yes if you run the exhaust at the weld yoke sections of the shaft there is a possibility you can have a failure.

If the CF contacts something while it is spinning and underload it is supposed to splinter when it breaks.
If it comes into contact with something fairly hard and violently it will break, however at this point a STL or AL shaft will also become compromised.

CF has no elasticity or torsional flex, its gain over Al is that ability.

AL shafts are as light as CF, sometimes CF maybe slightly lighter.
AL like CF have the ability to run longer lengths and see higher rpm do to the weight they are not spinning, CF can run longer then AL.
AL has a 8% to 11% rate of torsional twist for that shafts length before it breaks.
The other good thing about AL is that it returns to it's original state after being subjest to that rate, meaning everytime you use it you get the same 8% to 11% of torsional twist before it breaks...

STL the cheapest of the 3 and heavier of the 3 can not run the lengths in 1 span as AL and CF can, and does not have the torsional ability of AL, it has 3% to 6% of torsional twist, so if you leave the line and exceed that shafts ability of lets say it has 5% and you twist it 3%, next time around you only have 2% and it will fail.

Saying that is is useless to use a lighter shaft and it is of no help in ANY car regardless of power is totally WRONG....

The driveline is very touchy to weight and pounds can see great increases.

Every car will see greater acceleration and better mpg from lighter driveline pieces, whether it is a 150 hp car or 2500 hp car...

Every 2 lbs is equivalent to 20 lbs carrying weight, and when most factory STL shafts are 24 lbs and better, when you go to a AL or CF shaft you lose atleast 20 lbs, so you just shed 200 lbs of carrying weight

This is why cars will see anywhere from atleast .07 hundreths to as much as a .15 tenth and half increase at the track..
The mpg also increases as the weight decreases.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Supershafts
OK here is the issue with each type of material...

The CF used as per PST is epoxied, and yes if you run the exhaust at the weld yoke sections of the shaft there is a possibility you can have a failure.

If the CF contacts something while it is spinning and underload it is supposed to splinter when it breaks.
If it comes into contact with something fairly hard and violently it will break, however at this point a STL or AL shaft will also become compromised.

CF has no elasticity or torsional flex, its gain over Al is that ability.

AL shafts are as light as CF, sometimes CF maybe slightly lighter.
AL like CF have the ability to run longer lengths and see higher rpm do to the weight they are not spinning, CF can run longer then AL.
AL has a 8% to 11% rate of torsional twist for that shafts length before it breaks.
The other good thing about AL is that it returns to it's original state after being subjest to that rate, meaning everytime you use it you get the same 8% to 11% of torsional twist before it breaks...

STL the cheapest of the 3 and heavier of the 3 can not run the lengths in 1 span as AL and CF can, and does not have the torsional ability of AL, it has 3% to 6% of torsional twist, so if you leave the line and exceed that shafts ability of lets say it has 5% and you twist it 3%, next time around you only have 2% and it will fail.

Saying that is is useless to use a lighter shaft and it is of no help in ANY car regardless of power is totally WRONG....

The driveline is very touchy to weight and pounds can see great increases.

Every car will see greater acceleration and better mpg from lighter driveline pieces, whether it is a 150 hp car or 2500 hp car...

Every 2 lbs is equivalent to 20 lbs carrying weight, and when most factory STL shafts are 24 lbs and better, when you go to a AL or CF shaft you lose atleast 20 lbs, so you just shed 200 lbs of carrying weight

This is why cars will see anywhere from atleast .07 hundreths to as much as a .15 tenth and half increase at the track..
The mpg also increases as the weight decreases.

Thanks for the breakdown. I guess someone had it backwards over torsional spring rate.

Just to clarify, I wasn't saying weight isn't critical from rotating inertia. What I did say is that the reduction in radius has more bearing than weight. Moment of inertia (MOI)= 1/2 x m x r^2.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:35 PM
Restricted User

You didn't say that, but someone earlier on in this post did say that losing weight in a car with 300 or 400 or something less then a pro 1500+ hp wouldn't benefit from a lighter shaft....
Old 01-15-2012, 08:59 PM
Teching In

PST CF driveshaft just failed on my car, 150 miles. The CF shaft seperated from the u-joint assembly closest to the trans but it did not come apart. Calling PST and my supplier. Bummer
Old 08-02-2023, 06:00 AM

Default Went to PST in Clearwater yesterday....

Originally Posted by BlackBirds
I'm looking into getting a PST carbon fiber driveshaft and am curious about what they can hold. From what I've heard the carbon fiber driveshafts are stronger than aluminums, but weaker than steals. I've got 402whp now with a MWC 9", T56 tranny, and M/T drag radials. In the future I plan to be making 500whp or maybe even 600whp on nitrous. Think a carbon fiber shaft would hold up?
I just went to Precision Shaft Technologies in Clearwater FL yesterday to get the driveshaft info so I can have one built. I drove all the way from SC just for this because I hate having buyers remorse. 1007 miles and 2 tanks of gas later and I can tell you what I leaned. So I am building around a 675whp silverado and before I can really go any farther with the build I need to upgrade some parts. The driveshaft being one of the first ones. I have a 3" aluminum on there now. I wanted to get a 3" CF shaft rated for 800whp for around $1500. They recommended a 5" aluminum rated for 1000+whp and it was $800. The local guy Charlie who drag races explained to me that at 675whp the difference in my 1/4 mile times from a 5" aluminum to a 3" CF is going to be about a tenth of a second faster. Now if youre competitively racing for money or pinks then that tenth might make all the difference. However, I was also told that CF is stronger in most regards to aluminum except that they can be brittle and if it takes a ding at all it can cause catastrophic failure. Now if one does fail they just disintegrate, which is a plus. Since I am just having some fun on the track on test and tune nights and a little roll fun in Mexico, I am probably going to go with the 5" aluminum. At the end of the day I just wanted the CF more for the clout but I dont want to deal with the worry. I will make up for the rolling mass by getting some lighter wheels. I am actually going to call PST this morning and go over the CF options again before I make my purchase but I am heavily leaning for the 5" Just curious but why nitrous for power? Its cheap up front but a Whipple in my opinion is a safer and more hassle free way to go. Good luck on your build.

Last edited by TheAlmightyJinn; 08-02-2023 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Left out where I got my information... PST in Florida
Old 08-02-2023, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Supers
You didn't say that, but someone earlier on in this post did say that losing weight in a car with 300 or 400 or something less then a pro 1500+ hp wouldn't benefit from a lighter shaft....
Every 1 pound of unsprung weight is like removing 4 pounds of sprung weight. At those power levels if you did the driveshaft and wheels, you might see a tenth in the 1/4
Old 08-08-2023, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBirds
I'm looking into getting a PST carbon fiber driveshaft and am curious about what they can hold. From what I've heard the carbon fiber driveshafts are stronger than aluminums, but weaker than steals. I've got 402whp now with a MWC 9", T56 tranny, and M/T drag radials. In the future I plan to be making 500whp or maybe even 600whp on nitrous. Think a carbon fiber shaft would hold up?
Get a PST chromoly driveshaft. I got the 3" chromoly for my MWC 9 with a 4l80e and couldn't be happier. It'll hold everything you can throw at it
Old 08-24-2023, 04:07 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 91 Z28
Get a PST chromoly driveshaft. I got the 3" chromoly for my MWC 9 with a 4l80e and couldn't be happier. It'll hold everything you can throw at it
Ebay: used OEM SS driveshafts can often be had for <$300. Aluminum, lighter than CM, almost as light as CF, inexpensive to have rebalanced before installation so then it will be as smooth running as CF.

One of MANY examples:1999 Chevy Camaro SS Aluminum Driveshaft - Auto Trans #9453 Q3 | eBay
Old 08-24-2023, 06:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

What the HP rating for a stock aluminum 4th gen driveshaft?
Old 08-24-2023, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LSX Thunder
Ebay: used OEM SS driveshafts can often be had for <$300. Aluminum, lighter than CM, almost as light as CF, inexpensive to have rebalanced before installation so then it will be as smooth running as CF.

To each his own. My PST CM driveshaft is good for 2500+ HP. I'll never have to worry about it. Ever.
Old 08-24-2023, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wannafbody
What the HP rating for a stock aluminum 4th gen driveshaft?
Depends on how hard it hooks. I'd say somewhere in the 450 whp range. I'd think the 10 bolt would turn into spaghetti first tho
Old 08-24-2023, 07:00 PM
Banned

Depends on how hard it hooks. I'd say somewhere in the 450 whp range. I'd think the 10 bolt would turn into spaghetti first tho
Use a driveshaft loop and the U joints can fail without damaging the DS. It's like your collar bone, it seems to be built to break instead of breaking your neck. Heals easily and fast. Proper U joints work with the OEM SLP aluminum DS the same way. Any sticky tire and surface can be rough on any DS. U joints matched to your HP, designed to break at a certain point, and the car is easy to "heal", just like a person. If the diff, trans or DS is vulnerable, U joints cost less and don't break your neck.
Old 08-24-2023, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

Use a driveshaft loop and the U joints can fail without damaging the DS. It's like your collar bone, it seems to be built to break instead of breaking your neck. Heals easily and fast. Proper U joints work with the OEM SLP aluminum DS the same way. Any sticky tire and surface can be rough on any DS. U joints matched to your HP, designed to break at a certain point, and the car is easy to "heal", just like a person. If the diff, trans or DS is vulnerable, U joints cost less and don't break your neck.
Hey that's great but after a guy invests a bunch of money into their car/set-up in my eyes it makes zero sense to rework a stock DS with proper u joints when I can have one built to handle everything now and into the future.

I mean in the grand scheme of things what's another $600-700?? After buying your new parts, possibly a cut and weld on the shaft and then a balance and not to mention the time to do all that, just a little bit more money and you've got a nice newly built DS that will take everything and ask for more
Old 08-25-2023, 05:29 AM
Banned

Hey that's great but after a guy invests a bunch of money into their car/set-up in my eyes it makes zero sense to rework a stock DS with proper u joints when I can have one built to handle everything now and into the future.

After buying your new parts, possibly a cut and weld on the shaft and then a balance and not to mention the time to do all that, just a little bit more money and you've got a nice newly built DS that will take everything and ask for more
For a 4th gen F body, what "cut and weld"? That 4th gen B body SLP driveshaft is OEM. Instant perfect fit. Rebalancing it isn't expensive and really just for peace of mind.
As for CM, 95% of built cars are not powerful enough to need one that heavy. The weight delta with aluminum is spending $ to go slower.
Old 08-27-2023, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

only CF fails I've seen were on trucks where they banged it on a rock... instant ball of yarn..
Which was a better alternative to a 2 foot chunk of metal swinging around..

I believe HP is not the problem with any drive shaft fail, torque is...
Since my 125hp 2.5L jeep was capable of twisting off a 4" steel drive line
or breaking a 1350 pretty much any time I did something stupid..
Low range transfer-cases teach you caution.
Old 08-28-2023, 07:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
only CF fails I've seen were on trucks where they banged it on a rock... instant ball of yarn..
Which was a better alternative to a 2 foot chunk of metal swinging around..

I believe HP is not the problem with any drive shaft fail, torque is...
Since my 125hp 2.5L jeep was capable of twisting off a 4" steel drive line
or breaking a 1350 pretty much any time I did something stupid..
Low range transfer-cases teach you caution.
Torque!
While CF is expensive (listen to 91Z28's post above) on an F body they work great. Overkill? (listen to 91Z28's post above). They do take some getting used to. The engine does spool up faster and when you take your foot off the gas, the car slows down slower. Just takes some getting used to, otherwise all positives.
Old 08-28-2023, 05:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

Just get an aluminum stock driveshaft and wrap it with Gorilla tape. It will take all the torques.
Old 08-28-2023, 05:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Just get an aluminum stock driveshaft and wrap it with Gorilla tape. It will take all the torques.
While wrapping a CF MIGHT make some sense, the aluminum requires no such. Used from ebay out of WS6 and Camaro SS cars is cost effective. Great U joints are a must, very inexpensive to have it rebalanced before you install it.
Old 08-28-2023, 07:34 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Used from ebay out of WS6 and Camaro SS cars is cost effective.
Just an FYI: There was no specific SS/WS6 driveshaft.
Old 08-28-2023, 07:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Just an FYI: There was no specific SS/WS6 driveshaft.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/31472238481...7L%7CEngine%3A

2002 Chevy Camaro SS SLP Driveshaft - Manual Trans #7139 G4 (For: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS Convertible 2-Door)
Opens in a new window or tab
Pre-Owned
$299.99
Buy It Now
+$79.95 shipping

httpss://www.ebay.com/itm/382423137618?fits=Year%3A2001%7CTrim%3AZ28+SS+Conv ertible+2-Door%7CModel%3ACamaro%7CMake%3AChevrolet%7CSubmode l%3AZ28+SS%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A5.7L%7CEngine%

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31469436280...item49453ee6b9

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29536146435...Bk9SR5aPw-vHYg

and many more. You are wrong again.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Driveshaft Durability