Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Which differential do I have? Pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which differential do I have? Pics inside

So i'm in the process of a gear oil change. Drained the rear end and this is what I have. My question is do I need the LSD Additive or not? I believe its the Torsen and I don't need the additive but I was just checking

Thanks
ARaber89
Old 09-27-2010, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't need additive. torsen has gears (not clucth). you'll be good with just gear oil
Old 09-27-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Can't answer the diff question other than the housing type, but if you're going with RP oil, you won't need the additive. That's all I can add on this one. (no pun intended)
Old 09-27-2010, 11:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by nealws6
don't need additive. torsen has gears (not clucth). you'll be good with just gear oil
This is pretty much it to answer your question. The GM additive is suppose to be for the auburn units, the clutch pack differential (the one with the yellow springs).

Some people say to put it in the Torsens too.... i have no idea why they would.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nemesis350
This is pretty much it to answer your question. The GM additive is suppose to be for the auburn units, the clutch pack differential (the one with the yellow springs).

Some people say to put it in the Torsens too.... i have no idea why they would.
There was a bulliten a while ago on torsens that had "a rusty screw noise" the cure was to add the friction modifier
Old 09-29-2010, 03:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by alamantia
There was a bulliten a while ago on torsens that had "a rusty screw noise" the cure was to add the friction modifier
Straight from Torsen Site:

Is it true that the Torsen unit in the production Camaro needs the GM modifier added?
GM issued a technical bulletin adding modifier to the rear axle oil. This was done to quiet what we call a "Rusty Screw" noise that we heard in a very small percentage of vehicles. This does not happen in all cases, however to address owner's concerns we asked that the modifier be used in all instances to insure that the driver would not get this noise. When replacing the fluid it is at the owner's discretion whether or not to add the modifier. Elimination of the modifier does not affect durability of the differential.