Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

PST Driveshaft 1200hp. Nope. Twisted Yoke!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BADD SS
FWIW, ever shaft I ever bought it was an UPGRADE to get a spicer yoke, which I usually opted for.. Never had a pst though, but lots of others, strange, spohn(looked like a strange), custom local one that snapped.... etc...

So basically people shouldnt assume stuff comes with spicer yokes, when driveshaft prices usually start cheap... and work their way up with add ons.
That's fine and all, but this was my first driveshaft purchase and quite plainly didn't know. I wasn't told about and upgraded yoke. And, a company that advertises the shaft at a certain hp as they do, shouldn't put a yoke on it that can't even handle a hard launch on a 350 hp car.

Quite simple put (like what was mentioned earlier) it is a penny pinching decision made by PST. Considering most people put the shaft in and never take it back out unless another problem occurs, and there will only be a few who actually take it out and see the twisted yokes. Being that the yokes are so cheap, they can replace them once or twice per shaft before losing money, and in the long run it's not losing them anything. But my case will be different. I WILL check it after every trip to the track, and I will have them replace it each time it twists. They will either replace my yoke with a stronger one, or they will lose money in replacing 6-10 yokes a year on my shaft.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by black00ssFL
That's fine and all, but this was my first driveshaft purchase and quite plainly didn't know. I wasn't told about and upgraded yoke. And, a company that advertises the shaft at a certain hp as they do, shouldn't put a yoke on it that can't even handle a hard launch on a 350 hp car.

Quite simple put (like what was mentioned earlier) it is a penny pinching decision made by PST. Considering most people put the shaft in and never take it back out unless another problem occurs, and there will only be a few who actually take it out and see the twisted yokes. Being that the yokes are so cheap, they can replace them once or twice per shaft before losing money, and in the long run it's not losing them anything. But my case will be different. I WILL check it after every trip to the track, and I will have them replace it each time it twists. They will either replace my yoke with a stronger one, or they will lose money in replacing 6-10 yokes a year on my shaft.

or you could just stop being cheap and pay the difference to upgrade. there's more that one part to a driveshaft ASSEMBLY. theres the driveshaft, the ujoints, and the yokes. just because you bought a top line driveshaft doesnt mean the yokes or ujoints will hold up if you cheap out on them. not everyone wants/needs the top of the line stuff so there will always be options

when i ordered my pst they gave me a price for the chromoly shaft assembly. i asked what kind of ujoints and yokes that included and was told standard. i wanted piece of mind so i opted to pay additional $$$ to get the top line u joints and yoke and guess what, its been in my car for 50k miles, 100's of passes, and well over 500 rwhp with a manual and slicks and is as good as new.

even when i had a vibration issue and i sent it to the to have the balance checked, which they did for free 4 years after i bought it, they noticed minor amounts of play in the ujoints. they offered to replace them for free with the same ones. again i opted to pay the additional to get the new higher end joints installed (labor again was free). and i had it back within 48 hours of dropping it off at ups

race parts break, and 99% of **** doesnt have a warranty. be happy they are doing anything for you. their driveshaft can handle 1200 rwhp, but the standard ujoints and yokes cant. this is what makes up the assembly. if your putting together an engine combination and use a crank to handle 1500 hp, pistons to handle 1500 hp, and rods to handle 500 hp, what do you think is going to happen

Last edited by Tally TransAm; 10-24-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lightbulb

That's kinda the point. I was sold a "1200 hp" drive shaft. I was not given options, and I've never bought an aftermarket driveshaft before. I didn't know a 1200 hp shaft would come with parts that didn't handle 1200 hp. Using the same analogy, how would you feel if a shop built a 1200 hp engine, and you bought it not knowing how to build engines. It later turns out that the 1200 hp engine only had rods able to handle 500.

I think it's pretty shitty that a place will sell a 1200 hp shaft that has components that break with less than 400hp. If maybe I was making 800-900 hp and something let go on the shaft, I could see their side in skimping on a part like that. Not when it breaks with only a 1/4 of the advertised hp.

Edit: Also, it's not about being cheap at this point. I would have gladly paid the extra money if I was told "btw, although we say our driveshafts handle 1200 hp, but the yokes are cheap and we have an upgrade for them". But that didn't happen. Even the first time it twisted I was told they haven't heard of that happening, and was then told about an upgraded yoke for $50. Since the guy told me that they've never heard of the yokes twisting, I just had them replace it with no upgrade since it was dismissed as a fluke.

And again, I know PST will "stand behind it" and replace my yoke, I know they are a good company when it comes to customer service. All I'm saying is if they are gonna make a "1200 hp" shaft, make a shaft that holds it. If I'm getting parts with the shaft that doesn't hold "1200 hp" tell me and don't sell me the whole assembly claiming t will hold 1200 hp!

Last edited by black00ssFL; 10-24-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Junkie

That's kinda the point. I was sold a "1200 hp" drive shaft. I was not given options, and I've never bought an aftermarket driveshaft before. I didn't know a 1200 hp shaft would come with parts that didn't handle 1200 hp. Using the same analogy, how would you feel if a shop built a 1200 hp engine, and you bought it not knowing how to build engines. It later turns out that the 1200 hp engine only had rods able to handle 500.

I think it's pretty shitty that a place will sell a 1200 hp shaft that has components that break with less than 400hp. If maybe I was making 800-900 hp and something let go on the shaft, I could see their side in skimping on a part like that. Not when it breaks with only a 1/4 of the advertised hp.
and thats fine, maybe there was a communication issue between you two. maybe they should have explained the options better, maybe you should have done more research on what you were purchasing or what was available. there are lots of maybes

but the bottom line is they will replace what broke for free with the same thing, or upgrade you to the better at a very reasonable price. which in the game of racing is more than 99% of companies out there will even consider, and it is absolutely asinine for you to demand that they upgrade you for free or else . . .

pst has gone far and above what other companies can and will do for myself, many locals here, and thousands of others out there. its not pinching pennies on their part, it is offering options, from low end economy grade to extremely high end. and while i certainly agree the options should be discussed when the inquiries are placed, it is no more their issue for not offering than it is your issue for not asking, and they do the correct thing to remedy the situation by offering the upgrade at a reasonable price.

Last edited by Tally TransAm; 10-24-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Edited previous post
Old 10-24-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

PST should be embarrassed to produce a 1200 hp advertised DS that has a yoke twisting @ 400-500RWHP.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:17 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I took my drive shaft out again last night to do some exhaust work (pry it out actually), and discovered the yoke splines were bent yet again! This is the second time for me in twisting the yoke. And this only with ONE trip to the track on a car with bolt ons! I was only getting a 1.8 60' as well.

Considering I go to the track probably at least 6 times a year, they can decide which is more cost effective for them......replace it with a yoke it SHOULD of come with, or keep paying for shipping and the Chinese crap 6 times a year.
The china junk costs a few dollars, they'll keep giving you another, personally if they were me, they would have stopped using that **** altogether.

I agree with you. We may not have been told what yoke we purchased, but we bought a "1200 hp" driveshaft. That alone would lead a person that doesn't know what slip yoke is strong or not to believe that the driveshaft, as a whole, would at least stand up to 400hp. This is not the case
Exactly.... it is not a 1200hp shaft. a driveshaft consists of 4 to 5 particular pieces
1. slip yoke
2. weld yokes
3. joints
4. shaft
5. flange yoke (some uses)

If any ONE of those pieces can not stand up to a particular rating, then because the rest can it is as strong as it's weakest part...

Originally Posted by BADD SS
FWIW, ever shaft I ever bought it was an UPGRADE to get a spicer yoke, which I usually opted for.. Never had a pst though, but lots of others, strange, spohn(looked like a strange), custom local one that snapped.... etc...

So basically people shouldnt assume stuff comes with spicer yokes, when driveshaft prices usually start cheap... and work their way up with add ons.
FWIW that sounds like you got some good salesman bullshitting...

If you walked in and said i want a shaft. i will reply what happened to your old 1, you'll answer whatever happened...
I will ask, ok what are you doing exactly...
You will explain what you are doing vaguely and then i will question you for detail....
Then i'll get what i want to hear... motor, estimated or known hp, trans, the 1st gear ratio, the weight of the car, the length of the shaft, the joint series, what you are going to do with the car/truck, drive it, race it, crash it, break it, fly off a bridge...whatever....
Then i'll give you options as to what and why they are for the use, and if any upgrades or some non normal part is required.

Then i will give you a price for the options of shaft that will handle that PLUS, so I never see you again.......

That is what you should expect, and nothing less

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
or you could just stop being cheap and pay the difference to upgrade. there's more than one part to a driveshaft ASSEMBLY. theres the driveshaft, the ujoints, and the yokes. just because you bought a top line driveshaft doesnt mean the yokes or ujoints will hold up if you cheap out on them. not everyone wants/needs the top of the line stuff so there will always be options

when i ordered my pst they gave me a price for the chromoly shaft assembly. i asked what kind of ujoints and yokes that included and was told standard. i wanted piece of mind so i opted to pay additional $$$ to get the top line u joints and yoke and guess what, its been in my car for 50k miles, 100's of passes, and well over 500 rwhp with a manual and slicks and is as good as new.

even when i had a vibration issue and i sent it to them to have the balance checked, which they did for free 4 years after i bought it, they noticed minor amounts of play in the ujoints. they offered to replace them for free with the same ones. again i opted to pay the additional to get the new higher end joints installed (labor again was free). and i had it back within 48 hours of dropping it off at ups

race parts break, and 99% of **** doesnt have a warranty. be happy they are doing anything for you. their driveshaft can handle 1200 rwhp, but the standard ujoints and yokes cant. this is what makes up the assembly. if your putting together an engine combination and use a crank to handle 1500 hp, pistons to handle 1500 hp, and rods to handle 500 hp, what do you think is going to happen
Im gonna take the rod and make the engine man who decided this group of parts will work EAT IT! !

That is the stupidest assimilation i have ever heard....no im lying, i have stood and heard a jerk off use some better ones..

If you build something and say it'll handle XXXXXX hp, Every damned piece of it better handle the XXXXXX hp you said or were told it is going to be used in...

Otherwise, simply put, you are a dick.. no wait, you are lying scumbag chasing the dollar like a crackhead chases the high dick...

I have customers come in, i throw out some questions, i get answers, i give them what options they have, with prices for each....

let me use your wacky theory as an example...

1, why in the hell would i use chrome moly shaft and inferior parts surrounding it....

if you tell me you are running a trans am with 500hp im building you a shaft to handle 650hp....

If i sell you a 1200hp shaft, every piece of that shaft will handle 1400hp...

Wow, that is some mindset you got there kid, you must be every scumbag salesmens dream customer...
Old 10-24-2010, 08:34 PM
Restricted User

maybe they should have explained the options better, maybe you should have done more research on what you were purchasing or what was available. there are lots of maybes
No, if you buy something with a guarantee to meet or exceed something, then it should do just that...

Why should he research what a PROFESSIONAL is telling him...

You go to the doctor (a professional) he tells you oh your kid needs this, your kid dies.... oh **** i gave him a pill that was supposed to be 300mg of ______ and it was a china knock off not even up to 20mg of _______

You just walk away because he is an ******* and gave you something that was supposed to be, but actually it WAS FAR FAR from it... and that was known in the INDUSTRY.....

Yeah! ! ! ! Is that what you do, just take the kid and bury him at your expense to... wtf he'll send you another pill.... see if that helps now...

Oh it doesn't, maybe if you get your son a new heart and whatever else the pill ruined by not working you can get the right pill next time...

(like the tail section and trans, and whatever else was ruined by the faulty part)

but the bottom line is they will replace what broke for free with the same thing, or upgrade you to the better at a very reasonable price. which in the game of racing is more than 99% of companies out there will even consider, and it is absolutely asinine for you to demand that they upgrade you for free or else . . .

pst has gone far and above what other companies can and will do for myself, many locals here, and thousands of others out there. its not pinching pennies on their part, it is offering options, from low end economy grade to extremely high end. and while i certainly agree the options should be discussed when the inquiries are placed, it is no more their issue for not offering than it is your issue for not asking, and they do the correct thing to remedy the situation by offering the upgrade at a reasonable price.
Yeah, they'll send you another pos SY so you can replace the exhaust, tail housing, trans (possibly), torque arm...and still not have a 1200hp rated shaft...or even close..
Old 10-24-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Supershafts
there really isnt much here worthy of a response. . .

enjoy your free advertising
Old 10-24-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

Yea there was, but you don't have a leg to stand on.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:47 PM
Restricted User

Yeah ok....You just stick with the doctor and your son scenario....

Free advertizing, the only thing i want from this board is long island & NY members willing to support L.I.M.A. so we can gain control of property in riverhead long island and build a motorsports facility with a drag strip and road course....

While i do that, you should be lucky i answer the posts i do and educate you....

Once WE get that property, and we are building i won't be on any boards anymore...
Old 10-25-2010, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Supershafts, right on the money!
Old 10-25-2010, 12:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 907 Likes on 647 Posts

I have read most of the posts in this thread. If you sell a 1200 hp driveshaft it should hold 1200 hp.

It shouldn't be, well the shaft itself should hold 1200 hp but the yoke and u joint can only hold 300hp.

I don't care who you are, or where you come from that should make sense.

If you sell a certain product it should do what it says, unless it's..." a "1200 hp driveshaft******"

*=may need upgrades to reach 1200hp

Am I making this too complicated here or what?
Old 10-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE= or you could just stop being cheap and pay the difference to upgrade. [/QUOTE]

Tally TransAm: quite frankly, you're being an ***, and an ignorant *** at that. If a driveshaft is rated at 1200hp, it sure as hell had better be able to support 1200hp.

I agree with Supershafts 100% percent. More times than I'd like to admit, the mods have deleted posts with useful information, just because the poster didn't mention the "site sponsors." Are we in China, Iran, or the US? Why don't we let people say what they feel, instead of saying what the mods want them to feel?
Old 10-25-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gimme
Are we in China, Iran, or the US? Why don't we let people say what they feel, instead of saying what the mods want them to feel?
Even though I agree with your thoughts on Tally and the situation as a whole, you bring up a bad argument that I see often on online forums.

Technically we are not in any of the places you listed above. We are on a PRIVATE online forum. Paid for by private companies, not associated with the government. The 1st amendment DOES NOT apply here, and the mods/owners can edit what they wish, it's their forum.....not the government's. The constitution, for the most part, applies to government oppression against people.....not people against people. On the other hand...if they ran these forums like "****'s", it would drive people away from the forum...the less hits per day this site gets, the less a sponsor will be willing to pay. They must find a happy medium of not driving away people, but also keeping sponsors happy.....and none of that is influence by the 1st amendment.

Now.....back on topic
Old 10-25-2010, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

Even though I agree with your thoughts on Tally and the situation as a whole, you bring up a bad argument that I see often on online forums.

Technically we are not in any of the places you listed above. We are on a PRIVATE online forum. Paid for by private companies, not associated with the government. The 1st amendment DOES NOT apply here, and the mods/owners can edit what they wish, it's their forum.....not the government's. The constitution, for the most part, applies to government oppression against people.....not people against people. On the other hand...if they ran these forums like "****'s", it would drive people away from the forum...the less hits per day this site gets, the less a sponsor will be willing to pay. They must find a happy medium of not driving away people, but also keeping sponsors happy.....and none of that is influence by the 1st amendment.

Now.....back on topic
Actually, I try to stay on-topic as much as possible, but apparently Supershafts felt like someone was trying to censor him. Taken from Page 2 and in Supershafts' own words:

"When a forum becomes censored of what it can and can't discuss and doesn't allow discussion of all things equally, it's no longer a good forum.
Im not here selling anyone anything, in fact i do not want to sell anyone anything."

I was merely agreeing with him. In your mind, is it right that he felt censored for merely bringing to light what apparently so many others are also experiencing? Is it right that he is taking heat for providing constructive critism toward a product that the sponsors sell? I feel he has every right to do so. Whether or not the first amendment applies to a privately funded medium, we should all be able to provide our truthful opinions on all products. If the product is "so good" why would a company be afraid to take criticism; why would that company be afraid of friendly competition. I mean, if the product is "so good," wouldn't everyone use the product regardless of other advertising or other recommendations? Trust me, I see your point. Hell, I've spent the better part of my adult life protecting the Freedoms we all enjoy. I also think this forum is generally above average, but it upsets me when people automatically, systematically, and brutally attack someone who provides honest feedback about a sponsor's product. Personally, I want to know about an inferior product that does not live up to the hype. Wouldn't you? Maybe you have the money or the time to waste on multiple part buys; I don't.

I appreciate Supershafts' honesty on the subject, and the courage to provide an honest report.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Restricted User

Hey just to clarify a few things..... this will quickly get off topic and then right back on....sorry ahead of time...

I don't want to be banned for something that isn't happening...

What was happening was people were making accusations in posts eluding to my s/n and that is actually attached to my business, it is also attached to the L.I.M.A.

Do i own a driveline shop... Yes

Do i want to do business online... No (no offense, i like people online)

I do use the forums to gain members in our area awareness for our fight to remove deadly street racing from our area by making the voice of L.I.M.A. larger. Any forum is more then welcome to post or link to my site www.limotorsports.org for free, no strings attached... If asked i'll even add them to my shops site, fb page, whatever.

In the past i used to hand out fliers at cruise spots, after handing out over 55,000 fliers and speaking with more then 55,000 people, time has made me use the computer and forums to get the word out and make our political presence stronger...

While i am on many forums, i answer questions that fall into my expertise...

POINT BLANK, china parts are inferior....

If i was to make a shaft and advertise it to handle 1200hp it will handle 1400hp at the slip, joint, weld yoke and shaft.

Anyone making a add and then saying well the slip won't unless you upgrade, REALLY sold you a 300 hp shaft...

When i seen the pic i knew right away it was china junk....

In the Forums defense, they haven't censored me. Nor did they threaten to..
I made the comment i did at claims that were being tossed out openly that would possibly make a admin mistakenly silence me for something i did not, nor took any issue in
Forums gain a positive reputation from there users/members, some censoring of blatant stupidity is expected, racists remarks, using a user name maliciously (that'll happen with my s/n eventually they just change one of the S's for a $ or leave off the 's at the end)
When a forum has a reputation as this one does..
1. it keeps companies from being pos scum bags
2. they can see what the customer market wants

When someone like myself pops in i simply help, offer fact and solutions for problems, even point you in the right direction, and sometimes some shops not seeing clearly eventually do.... sometimes they do not....

Old 10-25-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

the cromoly strange shaft i bought from midwest **** out the spicer slip yoke friday night and looked identical to the tail housing pic.it took me 1.5 hours to pull it out...i bought a strange slip yoke today from midwest.i felt the same way about my cromoly shaft coming out with bolt on 150 shot on dry rotted et streets best 60 was low 1.7s.never asked about a upgrade but i didnt think my bolt on car would break a moly shaft.........so i payed out of pocket to get it to hold my bolt on 150 shot car..damn
Old 03-02-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry to bring this back from the dead but can anyone tell me if this is a decent slip yoke for az 400rwhp m6 car?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/STR-U-1662/?rtype=10
Old 03-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Restricted User

That is a coated spicer slip yoke, 1350 series for a few gm trans and jeep t-cases.

If that was on the OP's shaft he would have had 1200hp rated shaft

Quick Reply: PST Driveshaft 1200hp. Nope. Twisted Yoke!