Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10 bolt rebuild ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 bolt rebuild ?

Before i get flamed I know there junk but my car is a daily driver and I doing a gear swap so I going to swap axles and do a cover with the braces and weld the axle tubes as well. What posi unit should I get eaton, detroit etc. GM High tech performance just did a 10 bolt build with the eaton its like $500. Jegs has a detroit for $390. I only hit the track once or twice a year and dont have $2500 for an S-60 so I'm going to beef up what I got. Is one really any better than the other as long as you stick with a major brand ?
Old 10-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Teching In

Well flaming aside I run a detroit trutrac (the 390.00 dollar one from jegs) and have had 0 probs with it on the street . I've also put like 12 passes on it and it has held up well so far . It will be seeing a lot more track duty soon I'll let ya know how that turns out . I say for the money and what you're going to be doing it would be a great investment .
Old 10-03-2010, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LSNV
Well flaming aside I run a detroit trutrac (the 390.00 dollar one from jegs) and have had 0 probs with it on the street . I've also put like 12 passes on it and it has held up well so far . It will be seeing a lot more track duty soon I'll let ya know how that turns out . I say for the money and what you're going to be doing it would be a great investment .
Thanks for the input. Thats about $120 less than the eaton . Glad to hear its working good for you because I want to keep my investment to a minimum on this. I may give this one a try. How many miles on yours ?
Old 10-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Mine has about 6xxx on it . But i have buddys who have put well over 20xxx on em and as long as you keep up on diff services and do LSD additive it should hold up just fine . Also when you change axles please for the love of god do C-Clip eliminators !
Old 10-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

I have a 10 bolt rear put together by DTS, richmond 3:73 gear, ta support cover, moser axles, auburn posi, tires are mickey drag radials. my car has seen the track many of times, and has not givin me any issues. I run 12:20's 1/4 with a 1.68 60'.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I have hit 1.6s all summer long with my stock one. Just welded the tubes and added a girdle. My car is light though. Scared to swap gears in though...
Old 10-04-2010, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Mine has about 6xxx on it . But i have buddys who have put well over 20xxx on em and as long as you keep up on diff services and do LSD additive it should hold up just fine . Also when you change axles please for the love of god do C-Clip eliminators !
I thought C-clip eliminator were not good for street . I read some where that they were for race only . Can't remember what it was though. They didn't hold up or were noisy or something . I'm guessing you have them with no issues. What are you using Moser axles and eliminators?
Old 10-05-2010, 02:18 AM
TECH Regular

my 800$ 10 bolt build on my 87 turned into a 2500$ fiasco. don't do it.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

differentials go for cheap on here and the classifieds, around $150
Old 10-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by droptopcamaross
I thought C-clip eliminator were not good for street . I read some where that they were for race only . Can't remember what it was though. They didn't hold up or were noisy or something . I'm guessing you have them with no issues. What are you using Moser axles and eliminators?
Yea I'm running Moser 28's with C-Clip elim's and the tru trac , also my axle tubes are welded and I have a T/A girdle cover . No probs yet with 430HP but I'm sure it will give in sooner or later . I drive my car maybe once or twice a week .

Brandon
Old 10-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

tobias05 is right, I pick mine up for$500, I have about $2500 into mine as well, plus a sophn torque arm. my original plan was keep it cheap, buy a used posi rear and put a gear in it. put it in and the posi was worn. took it back out and sent it to dts for complete rebuild.
now 3 years later and still have a great rear but looking to build a 9" now, hoping to sell mine in november for $1000 firm.
go a few extra $$$ build a 9" then if you ever sell the car put a used 10 bolt back in, sell the 9". you'll probly make your money back.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

Drum brake conversion?

Originally Posted by droptopcamaross
C-clip eliminators are not intented for street use. Most likely they will begin to leak. I wanted to use them awhile back mainly out of desperation when my drivers side axle tube wouldn't hold the stock bearing straight and chewed my axle. I talked to moser about running them because it was easier to run them then the alternative, which was find another housing.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Teching In

^^^

No I have disc's like everyone else .... I was reffering to the trutrac .

Quick Reply: 10 bolt rebuild ?