Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

those with a 8.8 and mini ladder bar setup, set inside please

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
If its built properly it should be just as strong as the TA. What happens if the TA brakes?? Same thing will happen, or the TA mount brakes you could have a TA coming through the floor looking for your arm.

I am currently using a UMI full length TA and am going to be switching to the mini ladder setup. My car is not a drag car, hasn't ever been to the track but I'm planning on taking it someday though. I thought it would be something a little bit different and eventually I may convert it into a 4 link setup.
Actually, if the TA breaks, the rear will stay in the car, because the LCAs are still holding it in place. The mini ladder bar setup puts a great deal of stress on the LCAs, and if one of them breaks, you're hosed. The full twisting load of the entire rear end is resting on two little LCAs, which were really never designed to take that kind of stress. Don't get me wrong, there are a few guys who have been very successful with this setup. However, I use a TA with my 8.8, and it handles superbly.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...8-project.html
Old 12-23-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimme
Actually, if the TA breaks, the rear will stay in the car, because the LCAs are still holding it in place. The mini ladder bar setup puts a great deal of stress on the LCAs, and if one of them breaks, you're hosed. The full twisting load of the entire rear end is resting on two little LCAs, which were really never designed to take that kind of stress. Don't get me wrong, there are a few guys who have been very successful with this setup. However, I use a TA with my 8.8, and it handles superbly.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...8-project.html

I completely agreed with you , if you think deep in it , it make so much sence!!!
Old 12-24-2010, 06:34 AM
TECH Regular

ill be honest , i like the setup . im not to worried about the turning abilities of the car seein as i have a spool with a 9in goin in soon but if this was such a hit why hasnt spohn or other big susp guys doin it ? i mean these guys didnt even spell camaro right lolol
Old 10-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Razor_back
I built my 8.8 and was gung-ho to use the mini ladders. I fabbed up some using swaged rods and heims. I welded brackets on my lower control arms and on the tubes of the rear end. Ok, as far as straight line traction, it's a huge improvement over the T/A. As far as drivability, it's not even close. The rear end will not articulate now going over bumps. It will lift one rear tire off the ground going over a speed bump at an angle or up a driveway. Ultimately what has happened is this has created an infinite roll center on the rear. When going around curves, if you power into the corner, it will drift at the drop of a dime. It's seems rather dangerous to me. It's fun, but not real safe. I'm fabricating a torque arm mount right now and going back to a short torque arm with front and rear adjustability.

What software was used to make this structure?
Old 10-30-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the mini bar set up 2 years ago I did not care too much for the way the car handled.. my bars are sweet with HD rod ends, all tig welded....... will sell for 100.00
prior to tig welding

All tig welded and painted
Old 10-31-2012, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by McCain_Racing
What software was used to make this structure?
Probably SolidWorks or ProEngineer.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Did it 2 summers ago. Hit the tires too hard and lifted the car every time I shifted. Also binded up some stuff. Wouldn't do it.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

Did mini ladder bar help quiet gear noise? My 12 bolt makes a lot of noise and after several sets of gears and noise issues, I'm convinced its the Tq arm that makes our cars transfer so much gear noise.

Reading about safety issues , I could always leave the Tq arm but use the mini ladder bars to grab first with a new set of gears so that the Tq arm mount does not distort from hard shifts.
I have had gears quiet until I start running the car hard and banging gears.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Did mini ladder bar help quiet gear noise? My 12 bolt makes a lot of noise and after several sets of gears and noise issues, I'm convinced its the Tq arm that makes our cars transfer so much gear noise.

Reading about safety issues , I could always leave the Tq arm but use the mini ladder bars to grab first with a new set of gears so that the Tq arm mount does not distort from hard shifts.
I have had gears quiet until I start running the car hard and banging gears.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think mini-ladder bars will do anything to quiet the loud gears you have now, but I think if you swapped to mini-ladder bars and then had a fresh set of gears set up, they should stay a lot quieter without the TQ arm distorting the case.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah I have a new set to put in but hate to waist them knowing they will make noise after a few hard runs. That was my thoughts

Quick Reply: those with a 8.8 and mini ladder bar setup, set inside please