Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Weird clunking noise..

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird clunking noise..

Since I bought my car a month ago, its had a weird issue with the rear-end (I think). The only word I can use to describe it is a short series of "clunks" or "popping" in the rear-end area of the car when i accelerate (lightly or heavily) from either a stop or between 1-5ish MPH. It doesn't happen all the time, and the only time I can really get it to do the "clunk" consistently is a series of speed bumps I go over on the way to work, where i must slow down, accelerate (clunk-clunk-clunk), slow down, accelerate, (clunk-clunk-clunk) etc.

It almost feels as though when I'm accelerating, the rear end is hopping around in the area where its supposed to be, but thats just a descriptive thing

So before I get under there and start looking around for anything obvious, has anyone had this problem before? Or have an idea what to look for?

Thanks guys!
Old 11-10-2010, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds just like a couple of Detroit locker cars I've ridden in. Though, I assume it has a stock rear end? Probably a posi unit issue.