Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear end help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end help please

have a 96 z28 and the carrier and sun gears were worn beyond belief. it was a 7.625" 3.23 gear setup auburn lsd. picked up a 2 series 7.5" auburn lsd with newer RICHMOND 3.73 gears on it. the previous owner said he accidentally misordered the gears and got the thin gear set instead of the thick. so he ended up putting a spacer in it to get it right. well... i installed the pinion to the point there was 30 in lbs of drag on the pinion with a new crush washer and good bearings. then installed the carrier with the factory shims. took a bit to get the carrier in there but did so successfully. backlash seemed minimal. only problem was i couldnt find the correct depth/installation tools to put the assembly in the RIGHT way. upon decel, there is no noise until around the 5mph mark then you can hear a wahwahwahwah until you stop. also light accel and cruising you can hear what sounds like semi tires going down the road. i fear the gears are not set right and was going to drive it for a bit to see the wear pattern on the gears. i would like to get this right now though. can anyone point me in the right direction on what to do here? i have never had to do this before. i always just swapped rear ends as an assembly. cant find anyone local with the right tools and i cant afford a shop to do it. please help!
Old 11-10-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 03impala9c1
have a 96 z28 and the carrier and sun gears were worn beyond belief. it was a 7.625" 3.23 gear setup auburn lsd. picked up a 2 series 7.5" auburn lsd with newer RICHMOND 3.73 gears on it. the previous owner said he accidentally misordered the gears and got the thin gear set instead of the thick. so he ended up putting a spacer in it to get it right. well... i installed the pinion to the point there was 30 in lbs of drag on the pinion with a new crush washer and good bearings. then installed the carrier with the factory shims. took a bit to get the carrier in there but did so successfully. backlash seemed minimal. only problem was i couldnt find the correct depth/installation tools to put the assembly in the RIGHT way. upon decel, there is no noise until around the 5mph mark then you can hear a wahwahwahwah until you stop. also light accel and cruising you can hear what sounds like semi tires going down the road. i fear the gears are not set right and was going to drive it for a bit to see the wear pattern on the gears. i would like to get this right now though. can anyone point me in the right direction on what to do here? i have never had to do this before. i always just swapped rear ends as an assembly. cant find anyone local with the right tools and i cant afford a shop to do it. please help!
Without precise measurements of backlash, runout, etc, its hard to determine the problem. This is yet another one of those threads where a picture would be worth 1000 words. If you can post a picture of the pattern, there are plenty of people on here who can determine if what you're doing is correct. Might have to pull the cover and take a peek. Best of luck!