Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Found a 12-bolt out of a 72 Monte Carlo...need to make it fit my Camaro.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 02:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Found a 12-bolt out of a 72 Monte Carlo...need to make it fit my Camaro.

What do you guys think? I just found it on my dad's junk yard and took some quick measurements in the dark so they are just approx. It is about 2in. or 3in. narrower than my 10-bolt, which should be fine since I'm about to buy some draglites with 6.5in. backspacing and I can run spacers to if needed. I want to just weld the spring cups from the ten-bolt to it. Not concerned with handling as I don't have a front sway bar anyways, so I will probably go with the ladder bar setup. Looking at the car I think I can make a mount for the ladder bars right above the front lca mount rather than mounting them to the lca's. I think this would put less stress on the lca's. If this has been tried and isn't possible, let me know. I will probably just buy the weld-in adjustable lca mounts. Not planning on running a rear sway bar either, would this pose a problem, remember I'm only interested in straight line performance.

I'm on a very tight budget so for now I'll probably just throw a spool in it and call it good, maybe some gears. With time and more money Ill end up getting better axles. Anything else I could do to beef it up some? Ive seen people weld braces that go over the pumpkin and attach to the axle tubes.

Any body know where I can find specs on the 12-bolt Monte rear? I've been looking on Google and can't seem to find any for that year. I would like to know what gears it currently has in it, I guess i could just take it apart and count, but it is sitting outside at my dad's farm and I won't be able to get out there until next weekend.

What tools should I order for this. I know I need something to measure what degrees to set the lca brackets and spring cups. What gauge do I need for setting up gears? I put 4.10s in my trans am but just used the original shim. It held up fine with minimal whine, but i would like to learn how to properly set up gears.

I'll make up for all my questions by posting pics of every step of the build for you guys to see.

Thanks
James
Old 11-22-2010, 04:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

http://www.firstgenmc.com/tech/rearaxledecoding.shtml

This link may help you out. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website