Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Little bit of play in my driveshaft, time for a rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 06:54 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me as if you have a bearing issue.... shafts don't see any side loads unless you are cornering like a F-1 car..

I would check the axle bearings and go from there...
Old 11-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Launching!

This is what most people have said and makes the most sense to me, how do I check the bearings?
Old 11-24-2010, 07:12 PM
Launching!

Theres this 90 degree turn near my house that I like to roll into pretty fast and then hammer the gas and get sideways, not on a daily basis or anything just occasionally. Theres room for mistakes if I was to lose it I'd just end up in some dirt (not that I've lost it). The problem is its a right turn and I've done it quite a few times, I dont go sideways on any left hand turns lol. Could repeatedly going around a corner sideways (spinning the tires) be causing my issue, bearings or whatever.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by xricer
That wasn't word for word what he said lol he was alot more specific than that. I wont say anything bad about him because I date his daughter and he has helped me out tons with my car for free. Sometimes I question stuff he says, he's one of those old school shade tree mechanic guys he's not dumb just maybe not quite up to par with newer cars and computer tuning and all that
Understood
Old 11-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Restricted User

Jack the car up, check for up and down and front to back movement, in and out isn't a issue as there is some play between the axle and spider cross bar
Old 11-26-2010, 07:06 PM
Launching!

Talked to jaws gear on the phone when I described what was going on with my car, they said it sounds like something suspension related. They said if it was an axle bearing it would make a roaring sound and it would be constant not like my noise which only happens when turning right
Old 11-27-2010, 06:00 PM
Restricted User

seen many a bearing do things only when loaded and or unloaded, take a minute to check......
Old 11-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Supershafts
seen many a bearing do things only when loaded and or unloaded, take a minute to check......
ok went ahead and jacked the car up and checked both sides this time. When I grabbed the left rear tire at a 12 to 6 position and pulled up and down theres a little play (not sure what's considered alot of play) and theres a little "creek creek" sound when pulling kind of hard. Maybe just a fraction of front to back play but no noise. The other back tire seemed to a have just a tiny bit of play up and down and front to back but no creeking noise. So what now, is it pretty much safe to assume the left axle bearing is my issue? Where do you buy one and how hard is it to replace?
Old 11-29-2010, 07:49 PM
Launching!

Starting to hear the noise just driving on rough roads now, I need to get this fixed!
Old 11-29-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, calm down haha. I just had an axle bearing replaced in my camaro. I bought it with the axle bearing messed up and knew what it was so it wasnt a big deal. The noise was a roaring noise, like a really loud road noise coming through the car. Like I knew something was wrong there was no misunderstanding LOL. The play you are describing is normal. Its a used rear end, its gonna have a little more play than a brand new one. Its fine. If its not roaring or whining then I would drive it. The hissing sound youre describing sounds like brake pads. When is the last time you had those checked/changed? Dont let your G/F's dad mess with you, he sounds like on of those "worst case scenario" guys. I know them all to well because my dad is one. Something is always about to break haha. So like I said, unless you hear a loud "roaring" noise or a whine noise coming from it then just drive it.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Launching!

Yea you hit the nail on the head, the "father in law" is very gloom and doom lol. If I mention something about buying a cam package he'll say something like "You're gonna blow that thing up!" I'm hoping that my problem is brake related because I just ordered new pads and rotors from ws6store. The problem with that explaination though is my brakes dont make any noise when I'm actually on the brake pedal or even braking hard. The car wobbles like hell when braking but I know my rotors are really warped, even had them "turned" or whatever and that only helped for a little while. I'm sure my brake pads are in bad shape as well because I've never changed them since I've owned the car.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:40 AM
Launching!

Can brake pads make noise just from you turning? That's what my noise that's annoying me kind of sounds like some kind if metal on metal noise not real loud.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Yea you could have one loose. People sometimes shim them and hi temp silicon grease
Old 12-06-2010, 05:44 AM
Launching!

Changed the pads and rotors noise is gone and wow what a difference! The pads on the rear wheels were like paper thin

Quick Reply: Little bit of play in my driveshaft, time for a rebuild?