Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Please Help...which carrier for my 10 bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help...which carrier for my 10 bolt?

first off, yes i've searched, but i find most information for anything but a 10 bolt.

I CANNOT AFFORD A 12 BOLT/9IN/S60, AND I DON'T DRIVE THE CAR ENOUGH TO MAKE A 12 BOLT/9IN/S60 A SENSABLE PURCHASE.

i maybe drive 1000 miles a year, only 500 this year, so far no track time, don't really plan to see the track. if i do, it will be in street tires. it's too nice a car to beat up and down the track.

car in sig, m6 and going to 4.10. i wasn't going to use the existing torsen mainly for original parts consideration (i don't yet have 8000 miles on the car). i just drive the car for fun on nice days, and to some shows. i do plan to eventually go full bolt on's. i am going to upgrade the 10 bolt with a stud kit, weld the axle tubes, lca relocators. plan to use stock axles and existing TA cover. i enjoy burnouts, doughnuts, and powerslides. i want to make sure both tires lock in when i light them up. from what i understand so far, i have a few options. what should i use?:
-eaton posi (not the g80)
-auborn pro
-truetrac
-original torsen (even though i don't want to)
-open carrier with powertrax
-spool (mini or regular)

i want something reliable that i don't have to mess with in a couple of years. price really isn't so much a consideration because i'm still way under a S60 ($2500). i used to have a power trax on a short bed truck and i didn't mind it so much, but it would sure wonder under the right conditions. any help would be greatly appreciated, but again staying firm on the 10 bolt. besides look up and down this thread and you'll see plenty of problems from all of the high dollar rear's too...thanks
Old 11-30-2010, 11:14 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

definitely go with the Eaton posi, a solid spacer instead of a crush sleeve for pinion bearing preload, and a set of good axles and you will be in good shape. pm or call us for more info or a quote.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

I figured the eaton or auburn was the best route for me. Eaton is rebuildable, which to made the best choice. I had also planned to use solid spacer. Didn't know if I needed axles. Are the factory axles no good?
Old 12-01-2010, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I have never seen one(axle) break(usually the gears explode) but I would listen to someone like vert that knows them for a living. I have seen the Mosiers and I would avoid them for a ten bolt.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:39 PM
11 Second Club

I have never broken a stock axle, but at 65 k miles my stockers were worn at the splins to the point there were noise ( pop/click) when changing park to drive, I changed to Mos ( did nothing other at this time )and all noise gone, ran them about 10 k untill going to 9"
Johnny
Old 12-01-2010, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

pm sent