Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Low Trac Light from 60-65mph after rear end swap...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
It is very hard to diagnose an issue hundreds of miles away. I have even searched to see if there is something we may be missing. Keep in mind all sensors that are on his rear end including the 4ch reluctor wheels are the ones that came off his 10-bolt.

Even if they were after market 4ch reluctor wheels they are built to factory spec and there is 100's of rear ends out there using them whether they are from Strange or Moser.

Let us know if you come up with anything else.
I totally agree it is difficult to diagnose, although I have tried all of your suggestions with no avail. The wheel speed sensors are brand new. I purchased new ones in an attempt to fix the problem, but they didnt help. Who makes aftermarket reluctor rings?
Do you check the ring to sensor gaps before shipping the rear ends out, or do you just assemble?

Originally Posted by BlackLS1Bird
That sounds right though because with your larger tires on, the front wheels have to make more revolutions to keep up with the rear tires. Kind of makes the computer think the rear wheels are locking up or something like that and it trips the ABS light. Does it ever activate your ABS while braking normal or does it still only do it under slippery/ hard braking situations?
My ABS is activated while braking normal and also under hard braking situations. It seems to be counterproductive though and actually locks up the wheels. My rear wheels are 305/30ZR19 w/ an overall diameter of 26.22" and my front wheels are *275/30ZR19 w/ an overall diameter of 25.59". That is 0.63", which is not that much of a difference. I have seen others running a larger size difference and have no problems.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:56 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We can't measure the gap because we did not have your sensors here to do so but like stated we used your factory reluctor wheel and your factory backing plates so it is going to be the same gap as it was stock. Now you do have to clearance the sensor some to fit with those housing ends. You did do that or are they jammed into the hole which would make them sit at an angle giving a false reading.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
We can't measure the gap because we did not have your sensors here to do so but like stated we used your factory reluctor wheel and your factory backing plates so it is going to be the same gap as it was stock. Now you do have to clearance the sensor some to fit with those housing ends. You did do that or are they jammed into the hole which would make them sit at an angle giving a false reading.
Being that there is a spec'd gap required for the system to work properly, and you advertise a bolt in 4 channel setup. Wouldn't it be a good idea to incorporate a mock setup to check the gaps before you ship a rear end out to insure problems don't occur? Just an idea to help prevent customer complaints.

I did clearance the wheel speed sensors as they do not seat flat when unmodified.

Oh ya, this happened today as a result of ABS malfunctioning:

Being that I work full time and this is my only car, I HAVE to drive it in order to get to work. I am not trying to bash MWC, just would have liked for the rear end to be a TRUE bolt in kit as that is what I payed for. I think MWC should consider mocking up the backing plates, sensors, and rings prior to shipping out the rear ends to insure they are selling a unit that is in SPEC according to factory requirements.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to see/hear what happened to the car

That said, nothing aftermarket is a 100% troublefree bolt-in. Maybe you should think about that before a major change to a car you need everyday. If the brakes were malfunctioning, you should not have been driving it. Driving it like that is not only a safety hazard to yourself, but everybody else on the road. Again though, sorry to see what happened to what looks like a clean car.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 161 Likes on 131 Posts

hi guys........i just put an s60 in my 1998 ls1 4 channel car.........i too am having a similar issue......i went from 3.42s to 3.73s.....one day i took her up to 120, and i got low trac....as soon as i let off it went away......a few miles later at highway speeds, i got abs,brake, and asr lights.........drove home.....few days later.....110-125 and no lights........a different day, brung her up to 100+ again, and got low traction again......its currently at the tuner.....hes goona do a street tune on it as well as recalibrate the speedo.....ill let you know how it works out....
Old 12-09-2011, 07:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01Blk*SS*
I totally agree it is difficult to diagnose, although I have tried all of your suggestions with no avail. The wheel speed sensors are brand new. I purchased new ones in an attempt to fix the problem, but they didnt help. Who makes aftermarket reluctor rings?
Do you check the ring to sensor gaps before shipping the rear ends out, or do you just assemble?

My ABS is activated while braking normal and also under hard braking situations. It seems to be counterproductive though and actually locks up the wheels. My rear wheels are 305/30ZR19 w/ an overall diameter of 26.22" and my front wheels are *275/30ZR19 w/ an overall diameter of 25.59". That is 0.63", which is not that much of a difference. I have seen others running a larger size difference and have no problems.
I was responding to ss slp2's comment. He sometimes runs a larger set of rear tires and it sets off his ABS light. Was seeing if it did it all the time or only certain times. was trying to get a read on other peoples problems to try to apply it to yours.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:28 AM
Launching!

And of course sorry about what happened to your car.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

man I'm sorry about what happened to your car!! I felt it in my gut when I scrolled to look at the pics! It was too clean to get a hit like that.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Floorman279
hi guys........i just put an s60 in my 1998 ls1 4 channel car.........i too am having a similar issue......i went from 3.42s to 3.73s.....one day i took her up to 120, and i got low trac....as soon as i let off it went away......a few miles later at highway speeds, i got abs,brake, and asr lights.........drove home.....few days later.....110-125 and no lights........a different day, brung her up to 100+ again, and got low traction again......its currently at the tuner.....hes goona do a street tune on it as well as recalibrate the speedo.....ill let you know how it works out....
What are your wheel/tire sizes?

I know it sucks, what are you going to to though. Just have to get it fixed. I wonder how much a hood, bumper, and fender replace and repaint will cost?
Old 12-09-2011, 11:44 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01Blk*SS*
Being that there is a spec'd gap required for the system to work properly, and you advertise a bolt in 4 channel setup. Wouldn't it be a good idea to incorporate a mock setup to check the gaps before you ship a rear end out to insure problems don't occur? Just an idea to help prevent customer complaints.

I did clearance the wheel speed sensors as they do not seat flat when unmodified.

Being that I work full time and this is my only car, I HAVE to drive it in order to get to work. I am not trying to bash MWC, just would have liked for the rear end to be a TRUE bolt in kit as that is what I payed for. I think MWC should consider mocking up the backing plates, sensors, and rings prior to shipping out the rear ends to insure they are selling a unit that is in SPEC according to factory requirements.
Sorry for your accident.

There is no gap for us to check, you are using the exact same items that came off your 10-bolt. If we modified anything on the backing plate and or your reluctor wheel then I could understand this but it is all your 100% stock items that have nothing to do with the MWC housing or any after market housing on the market. The only modification is to slightly clearance the sensor to fit which still doesn't alter the gap unless you try and force it in, if you clearance the sensor the gap is still at stock specs because it is still your backing plate and reluctor wheel you are using.

I also understand you are not bashing you have been very respectful through all of this and we are still trying to help as much as we can and still willing to help. We have gone through all the steps we can think of that may have caused an issue and not sure what else can be causing the issue.

At this point I am wondering if there is a loose ground in the system or a broken wire in the harness from when you took it apart.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Junkie

stock 245-50/16s........a good used hood is goona run bare minimum 600-700 used, but this is what im goona do when i get the money for a hood...

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...roducts_id=153
Old 01-06-2012, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cant believe they want to total it for just that.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

thought i'ld bump this quick. finally got up to around 60 mph during my breakin period with my mwc 9 inch. and guess what? my abs inop stuff came on!! i still need to reprogram my ecu for the new ratio (3.42 to 3.50) but i didn't think that had any influence on the abs system other than correcting speedometer error. or are they linked? hope i don't have the same issues 01Blk*SS* is. no other changes to the car other than the rearend.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

abs and asr is all wheel speed sensor stuff, which is not linked at all the the speedometer, which uses a sensor inside the tranny to read.......
Old 03-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

anyone figure this out yet?? i just got my break in period done on my MWC 9" i just ignored it for the first 500 miles and the low traction light keeps poping up with both rear wheel speed sensor codes..kinda annoyed because my cruise dosnt work with the low traction on :/
Old 03-14-2012, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

not yet - weather is nice enough now that i will be able to drive it alot more. still have to get my 500 miles in! can you post up the codes so those of us that are having this problem can compare. i'ld be curious to see how many 4 channels are having this issue, i.e. the percentage of problems to no problems. hopefully this weekend will be able to do some wiring and sensor testing. what do you have for tires front/back? also, did you have to grind on the sensors to get them to fit?
Old 03-15-2012, 06:25 AM
On The Tree

I'm having this same problem after installing my mwc rear. Above 60 the low track light comes and goes. Sometimes it will go miles without coming on, other times it's on and off several times in a mile. I'm thinking mine is either improper gap for reluctors or possibly need to play around with the pulses per mile settings in the pcm.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:02 AM
Staging Lane

yup i had to grind mine a lil bit also.. to get them to fit.. just stock 17" all around..
Old 03-16-2012, 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

drove about 65 miles this a.m. the first 35 (at speeds up to 75) were fine. then the abs lights came on again. i'll check for codes when i get home and post up. btw, i'm on 275/40/17 all around also.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone I have had inquire about this problem has not found a solution. Please post all your info and codes pulled... Maybe we can narrow the problem down.

@bpittman, how would you go about modifying the pulses per mile in the PCM, I was under the assumption you can not do this with hptuners....

Quick Reply: Low Trac Light from 60-65mph after rear end swap...