Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Correctting an uncentered/skewed axle? -New info-

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can not axcess the pic of your align rite now, and do not remenber the total toe on rear how far are you from BEAUMONT TX I am 20 miles north of BMT,
THE EASY way to chk the axle is to re connect the align equ up take a reading then roll the rear tire( one side at a time ) 180 and see how much the reading change; again how far away are you I could have the shop were I retired chk it for you they would carge about 60.00 to connect up and chk complete align
Johnny
Old 01-25-2011, 11:06 PM
Launching!

The numbers are .55 driver, -.20 passenger, -0.4 thrust.

I'm about 2.5 hours away from Beaumont in Lafayette, LA.

Tomorrow I may bring it to my usual (not the last one I used) alignment guy and see if he can do it. He has an elevated drive-on rack that he uses for alignment so jacking up the rear while it's on the rack to turn the back tires could be a problem.

I may just save the $40 and just keep on looking for a used rear end locally.

Last edited by elwood2; 01-25-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:17 AM
11 Second Club

YEP that is too much total toe, so just correcting the rear thrust line would no fix all your problems, I am not sure if I would like to sell my 10 bolt or not I would have to think about it ( if I did sell I am sure I would ask a high price, do not have a good pic rite now because I need to clean it up/paint it, install a new seal - just barley seaping
complete with 4 channel backing plates and A LOTupgrades

I might take 5 1/2 picked up AND allow buyer to use my 2 post lift to install it , but it is cold outside and my lift is in a open side building.repete it is cold outside

but realy do not want to sell it

rebuild 10 bolt
ALL bearing/seals/locker/axles about 10-11 k miles

ta cover/stud kit (140.00)
Detroit locker (525.00) new fron Jeggs
3.73 (200.00)
mos axles (250.00)
welded tubes (nc)
adjust ta on body mount ( not sure if still have this)do have stock TA
relocate brackets (nc)
BOX lakewood lca (200.00)
OE phb (100.00)
all labor (nc)
all added a nickel and a dime at a time
Johnny

Last edited by SS SLP2; 01-26-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:38 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the info. I'm just going to continue my search for a good used rear around my area. Don't really want one from a junkyard because even if I open it up, I don't really know what to look for to tell if it's good or not.

That's a lot of money you have in that rear. Definitely too much rear end for what I need. Whatever I do to this car a stock rear will be able to handle it.

Besides, I'm not confident I could do the swap myself.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:52 AM
Launching!

I finally put on some adjustable LCA's today. While the rear end was lifted i put the car in drive to check and see if i could notice any wobble. The drivers side looked fine but the passenger side it looks like there's something bent.

Either it's the rim or axle. I don't know if it makes a difference but the passenger side rim has weights both on the front and the back side. I'm thinking about either having the tires rotated and see if the vibration moves to the front end. Either that or put the spare on.

I didn't have enough time to take the tire and rotor off to check the axle.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Launching!

Went to a wheel repair shop today and they took off my passenger rear wheel and it's DEFINITELY bent. This weekend i'll take off the tire and rotor while it's on jack stands to see if the axle shaft is bent. Glad i'm finally getting somewhere.