Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gears and posi Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gears and posi Question

I have a 93 LT1, I have a Posi diff, but I only have 1 tire spinning and then the other tire catches, I want BOTH tires to spin, I'm on lmperformance.com...what do I need? The Eaton Posi performance differential for the 87+ for $549 and the SLP/AAM Ring and Pinion, 3.73 gears for 7.5 and 7.625 Differential for $237. ? or Do i need something else? I know people are gonna say to buy a 12 bolt or something but when my cousin drops his rear end from his WS6, I might take his (for free lol) and drop it mine. (He won't do this for a couple years) but what makes the 93 rear ends weak? what breaks? is it the axles or the gears and differentials that blow? and if I do buy these new gears and diff, will those break also because im using the same rear end?
Old 12-30-2010, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

C'mon people, someone help me out. just looking for the right direction to go with this.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

You are gonna need a bearing set. I have always used Ratech kits from Summit with good luck. They are about 100 without wheel bearings or 125 with. And yes the posi and gears you picked look fine. You just need to make sure that A. The posi matches your axles (spline count) stockers are like 28 spline, and B. the posi and the gear match series. If you buy a 3 series posi, then you need 3 series gears. If you buy a 2 series posi then you need 2 series gears. There is really no advantage or disadvantage of the two but if i have a choice I would pick the 3 series bc there is more gear choices readily available.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you plan to stay close to stock power with an auto, I would try to find a Torsen used for sale on the forum. I bought one for $130.00 bucks from a member and it came with a good set of 3.42's. The Torsen is a good unit I think and you will never have to put clutches in it, no one wheel peel. Also the AAM gears 3.73 and 4.10 are only made for the 3 series carrier. You will also need the ring on it for the ABS. Check out my latest thread I just built a 10 bolt from scratch. And yes Summitt has a good deal on the Ratech install kits for $100.00, mine came with every bearing and seal in the rear end.

I didnt like the 4.10 with the 6 speed so I went with 3.73. You have an auto so I wouldnt go 4.10, I am not real sure I would even go 3.73 with an auto but thats just me. It just depends on how you plan on driving the car. If you plan on drag racing then you shouldnt even be messing with the 10 bolt.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

Well whatever rear end came on the 93's lol I'm still learning about the cars. trying to follow the right path lol Would I find out what carrier through the VIN? more then likely I'm gonna go with 3.73's and a no slip posi. It's hard to come back when you've slipped through first. In my car anyway. The headers and X pipe should def help me out, get some lost power back in it. wake it up for me. So as far as I understand, RaTech Bearing Kit and Torsen or AAM Gears 3.73 and an Eaton or Auburn no Slip posi ?
Old 12-31-2010, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

But I just gotta find out either 2 or 3 series
Old 12-31-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Regular

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

Try the link above and put in your vin. If it came with 2.73, then you have a 2 series. If 3.23, then it has a 3-series. But it doesn't really matter if your replacing carrier and gears.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

if i lose my rear end, whats the weak point on it? I don't wanna spend over $1000 on a no slip posi and gears and install and then for it to grenade on me. I dont have a stall, which ill prolly get way later. I just want the traction and the gears i hate slipping and waiting for it to catch.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkr2wld
if i lose my rear end, whats the weak point on it? I don't wanna spend over $1000 on a no slip posi and gears and install and then for it to grenade on me. I dont have a stall, which ill prolly get way later. I just want the traction and the gears i hate slipping and waiting for it to catch.
Torsen is the posi unit that came in the 99-02 f body. If you get one it will more then likely be a 3 series, but make sure before you buy it. Then get the AAM gears you want they will be 3 series. Get an install kit.

The ring gear is the weak part in the 10 bolt rear end. By looking at your mods I dont think you are going to break one. Being you have an automatic helps too.

If you take the ring gear off, this is the Torsen posi unit.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

I have 3.23's, that compnine site is pretty nifty. it said alot on my car is "rare" i felt special lol

Quick Reply: Gears and posi Question