Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

locker questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default locker questions

so im debating whether to get a locker or wavetrac. i know they are both really strong and wont break with my power level. my plans for the car is drag race a few times a year and road race it twice a year. how does the locker do with turns?
Old 01-09-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would NOT buy a locker if you will be doing any road racing. They will lock under straight driving, and then often violently unlock when you start cornering hard. Not ideal for a car thats going to see road course use. It will be more detrimental than anything.

I'd go with a limited slip like an Eaton Posi or Detroit Truetrac. The Wavetrac is supposed to be extremely strong, but they are quite expensive.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put a Locker in my car from a clutch Trac-Loc. It's a NASCAR take-out... NASCAR uses them so I don't know if that answers it for you.

You will get two wheel peel!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:06 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

with a stroker engine and a M6 car I'd suggest a Wavetrac diff. yes, they are a bit costly up front, but they do carry a lifetime warranty. We look at it this way... if you purchase a diff unit for around 500.00(truetrac, locker, etc) and you either break it, don't like it or whatever, it is gonna cost you more than that 500.00 again to upgrade it. the Wavetrac upgrade is an 800.00 option on our fabricated 9 inch rearends, but in order to just purchase one by itself it will cost you a little over 1000.00.

Even if you were just doing the basic street/strip I would not suggest the locker diff with the M6, but it's a definite no-no in any roadcourse/autox car as well. only place we even discuss the locker is over 500 rwhp, with auto trans, and used for street/strip.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
I would NOT buy a locker if you will be doing any road racing. They will lock under straight driving, and then often violently unlock when you start cornering hard. Not ideal for a car thats going to see road course use. It will be more detrimental than anything.

I'd go with a limited slip like an Eaton Posi or Detroit Truetrac. The Wavetrac is supposed to be extremely strong, but they are quite expensive.
i am with you ^^^^

an't no 'spert, but I will express my opinon, I ran a Detroit Locker in a 427 mustang on the strip & street for over 7 years waaayyyy back in '60s, now running a locker in
Y2K SS/7.50 rear, and building 9"/Detroit locker for spair, as you may guess I LIKE lockers, the one in the 60' was with a standard, the one now is
with A4/STALLED
now back to ?, AS much as I like the locker, IF I were going to build for road race I would go a differant route
just my .02' Johnny

Last edited by SS SLP2; 01-10-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 00 black ss
so im debating whether to get a locker or wavetrac. i know they are both really strong and wont break with my power level. my plans for the car is drag race a few times a year and road race it twice a year. how does the locker do with turns?
With an M6 I would go with the Wavetrac. I have had customers with lockers and M6 transmissions end up with problems shifting at part throttle, due to the excess slop in the driveline that is inherit with the locker. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website