Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

ok, need opinions. Axle noise after fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 02:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ok, need opinions. Axle noise after fluid change

K guys, I've rebuilt a few rear ends and I've changed fluids in all of my vehicles for years now with no issues, but my 99' Z has me annoyed. I was doing some normal maintenance which included changing the rear diff fluid, cleaned everything up and filled her up with Lucas Heavy Duty 80-90 gear oil. I know my torsen diff doesn't "need" additive but it's already in the Lucas oil. Well after the fluid change, now I get a whine when turning at slow speeds. Part of me thinks axle bearings, the part I don't want to listen too is wondering about the diff, but then I think, it was fine before the fluid change and was driven all highway to work (and driven easy) and I noticed it when I was driving around the parking lot at work. Almost sounds like that new tire "whine" you get in parking lots but I drive a short dirt road on the way to my house and it makes it on dirt so it's not the tires. I just find it odd that it was quiet before the new fluid and now it's not.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Maybe try a different fluid, or live with it. Not too many options here. As long as the noise doesnt get louder I wouldnt worry about it too much.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think it's more my curiosity as to why it happened. It's not horrible and I can live with it but there's that part of me that wants to know why. I'm gonna swap fluids and see what happens but I just find it weird that just the fluid would cause it or that something unrelated to the fluid change magically went out at that time.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

With torsen rears, I have run additive and no additive, syn and non-syn. No issues with any of it.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your rear does not need the "additive" and your lub has the "additive" in it I would invest in a bottle of "additive" ( 10 bucks), you may find it to be a cheep fix
Johnny
Old 01-19-2011, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ya I've ran straight dyno oil and no additive in the past on a torsen rear with no issues. This one just has me scratching my head. As far as adding more additive, don't think it'd do anything and it's full right now lol.