Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear end queestion

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end queestion

whats the difference between a 9 inch, 12 bolt, and S60. wieght,strengh, noise.
what would yall recommend for a 98 z28 m6
Old 01-30-2011, 10:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 12-Bolt is an excellent rearend until it has a torque arm mount integrated in the center, then it is less than desirable. It has a reputation of being noisy due to this so I don't suggest it.

The 9" is very strong and can be built lighter than other choices. If component selection is done right and if the housing is done right it is capable of handling anything imaginable. If You get a price on a 9" be sure to ask for the finished price, not just the housing, You will need a completed center section to use it.

The S60 is also very strong having a ring gear 3/4" larger than a 9". It can handle et's well into the 7's with proper component selection. It is cheaper than a 12-bolt but has a weight dis-advantadge. It is 20-25 lbs heavier than a 12-bolt.

If You would like a quote for a Strange Eng S60 built for Your car message or call Me. I will provide customer service and deliver on the dates promised!

Carl
Old 02-16-2011, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Carl at CRP;14435251]The 12-Bolt is an excellent rearend until it has a torque arm mount integrated in the center, then it is less than desirable. It has a reputation of being noisy due to this so I don't suggest it.

The 9" is very strong and can be built lighter than other choices. If component selection is done right and if the housing is done right it is capable of handling anything imaginable. If You get a price on a 9" be sure to ask for the finished price, not just the housing, You will need a completed center section to use it.

The S60 is also very strong having a ring gear 3/4" larger than a 9". It can handle et's well into the 7's with proper component selection. It is cheaper than a 12-bolt but has a weight dis-advantadge. It is 20-25 lbs heavier than a 12-bolt.

If You would like a quote for a Strange Eng S60 built for Your car message or call Me. I will provide customer service and deliver on the dates promised!

Carl[/QUO
the torque ar mount makes it noisey? how? by transferring vibration to the body? I have a vega that I am thinking about doing the currie enterprises center and a torque arm in for a fun driver. Please elaborate
Old 02-16-2011, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

heres a carcraft article comparing the rear ends
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...o_results.html
Old 02-16-2011, 08:48 PM
FormerVendor

It is a characteristic of the 12-bolt with a torque arm. The 12-bolt is an excellent rearend until the torque arm mount is integrated in the center, it then stresses the casting with poor results.
If You want to go with Currie why not use the 9"?
If the cost of building the 9" is prohibitive I would look into the S60.
Hope this helps.
Carl
Old 02-17-2011, 05:57 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 69cutlassrkt
heres a carcraft article comparing the rear ends
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...o_results.html
That is a very good read.

As far as our basic nine inch fabricated house package it is 15 pounds heavier than a stock 10-bolt, how ever we can get it lighter than the 10-bolt. As far as strength and ease of use the 9" has been the go to rear end for years in many different racing applications.

How ever the S-60 is a very nice set up and worked flawlessly for many of our customers over the years, how ever it is heavy.

Many things we like to discuss when customers are talking weight differences is I like to let them know that weight doesn't stop with the rear end itself with an F-Body. You need to look at the torque arm and cross member also. Our fabricated housing does away with all the bulky brackets everyone else uses, this also cuts back weight. Our torque arm itself in most cases is lighter than the bracket assembly alone used to mount a stock style torque arm on.