Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear Wheel Bearing help

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Wheel Bearing help

Well im trying to sell ro trade in my car and im having a noise coming from the rear end which sounds like a bearing issue to me. How much can i expect a shop to charge me to fix this? Not necessarily in a position to fix it myself. Thanks for any input
Old 02-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

Depends on alot of things. Diagnosis will probably be $45 for half hour. Then $74-$100/hr for labor plus parts. Total labor charge will depend if it is a pinion, carier or wheel bearing; or if it is gear noise.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

So at LEAST I'm looking $350+ more than likely?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:33 PM
Teching In

I just spent $500+ to replace differential bearings, all bearings in the center section. I initially also thought the noise was wheel bearings, but that was not the case. I guess you will never know until you open it up. I was lucky that it did not hurt anything else.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98BlueTA
I just spent $500+ to replace differential bearings, all bearings in the center section. I initially also thought the noise was wheel bearings, but that was not the case. I guess you will never know until you open it up. I was lucky that it did not hurt anything else.
Where did you get the work done ?
I noticed you are in the Bay.

I was thinking of replacing all my bearings and seals because I have noise in the rear too.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SS DNA
Where did you get the work done ?
I noticed you are in the Bay.

I was thinking of replacing all my bearings and seals because I have noise in the rear too.
Rearend Specialties in Santa Clara (you can find their web page really easily using Google). This is all they do, I am pretty happy with them, and I would not hesitate to take my car back there. I made an appointment, dropped off my car right around 8 AM and got it back same day. They gave me rough quote up front (about $400 in labor, and about $100 for diff bearing kit, and $60 or so for wheel bearing/seals which was not necessary this time), and they were right on. Of course, your car may require more or less work... I took Mobile 1 gear oil with me, and they did not hesitate to use it.

I first made a mistake of taking my car to AAA Autocare in Sunnyvale, well I am still new to the area and I did not know any better. They diagnosed the car, told me they would work on rear end, and still charged me diagnose. I did tell them that I needed to have noise from rear end fixed... To say the least, I am not going back there.

I do not know any other shops in the area, so there may be other shops that can help you as well. Hope this helps.

Sorry about