Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

G80 Clunking in turns at low speed (10-30mph).

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G80 Clunking in turns at low speed (10-30mph).

Pretty simple. Clutch in, turn tight to the left and I get a clunking that's light and sounds like the locker is trying to compensate or slip. Heard about a similar issue with 5th gens (non G80 but it's an identical symptom) and the TSB said it was a lubrication/break in issue.

Think this could be the case? Dry spots on the gears causing slippage and the resulting clunk?

Option codes:
Stock G80 Posi
GU6 3.42 rear gears
Factory GM 10 bolt
Traction Control ON

Last edited by Zabo; 02-18-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

Torsens'(99-02) are a strange posi in some regards,totally unlike the Auburns(98s' + earlier) that we're used to. They act strange on the bench by requiring some rotation to get complete engagement and they seem to require some rotation to get complete engagement when turning as 1 tire necessary to rotate more than the other because of the turn. I know this really doesn't answer the question you asked,just some insight.
How does it act normal straightline ?
Old 02-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Staging Lane

Doesn't make a peep in a straight line. But if you **** the wheel in some cases in a decel it will start clicking like it's got excessive lash in the gears. At the low speed turns I mentioned, especially to the left, it will click hard in proportion to wheel spin. To the right, it's few and far between. Now when it was last split open around 2K miles ago there was no metal found at all, and it had it's rear pinion seal replaced. It's also not leaking from anywhere so I'm not worried about it being something catastrophic.

I'm just worried that something's wearing like it shouldn't be (IE locking mechanisms in the posi) and is shortening the life of that diff by a good amount. Or, could it be just a case of wheel hop isolated to the diff as the locker is compensating for the wheel spin as it does in a bench test? That does sound like it makes sense as to what I've experienced.

Last edited by Zabo; 02-18-2011 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Clarified that it's a Stock G80 Posi rear.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

Torsens are not 'locking' posi's as were accustomed to,because of all the internal gears within them,sometimes it takes 'rotation/rotations' to get 'thru' engagement.

I've been seeing catasrophic failures lately,the 4 end bolts are coming loose and then hitting something and breaking off with the broken parts loose in the rearend,not good.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^^^^^^this is what happened to mine.

Quick Reply: G80 Clunking in turns at low speed (10-30mph).