Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Ten bolt spool?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ten bolt spool?

So I had some bad luck with my stock ten bolt and blew the spider gears so I temporally put a stock v6 open diff rear end in and well long story short I'm not going to drive this car much longer due to frame damage I already have another car I'm going to swap my motor in but until i get the time and money to do so I'd like to spin two tires with my current car ive found spools for less than 100 bucks is a spool really hard to drive with or should I just save up and get a new carrier?
Old 02-28-2011, 01:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Whether to go with a spool or not to me depends on whether you do a lot of inner city driving. Since it is only a temporary solution to you I'd go with it anyway as cost wise it is going to be the best way to go. Here is a link to the 10 bolt spool that I sell. http://shop.brutespeed.com/BEP-31023...-BEP-31023.htm
You may find if most of your driving is rural or highway that you hardly ever notice the car has a spool. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 02-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

Actually I drive 30 miles of highway everyday so that sounds like the route I'll be going thanks for the info bob
Old 02-28-2011, 01:12 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by shanemilleresp
Actually I drive 30 miles of highway everyday so that sounds like the route I'll be going thanks for the info bob
It sounds like a great way for you to go. You're welcome. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 02-28-2011, 02:36 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mini spool is a cheap option but it is not a great option. They are not as strong as a full spool would be and has it's limits as well.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:33 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
I mini spool is a cheap option but it is not a great option. They are not as strong as a full spool would be and has it's limits as well.
Would would it's limits be?......I'm assuming it would be fine in a high 12 sec car, but would street driving cause any damage to it?
Old 03-01-2011, 11:09 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

just like everything else the M6 cars will be more abusive than the A4 cars will be so it depends on how hard you are on it. if you launch it hard at a dragstrip then it most likely won't break the spool itself, but the next weak link like an axle shaft or gear set. keep in mind the safety factor with a spool also... if you launch at the dragstrip and break an axle with a spool in the rearend you will most likely be looking at the wall immediately as only one axle will get the power and make the car turn... seen it happen too many times. Like it was aid before... its a cheap fix, not necessarily a good one.