Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

spool and traction control

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default spool and traction control

in the market for a new rear, i currently have a 4 channel 10 bolt. the spool is an obvious choice with my hp level, and it being a garage queen/ weekend warrior. and also looking to do some juice down the road. i know most will say just to ditch the TCS. but i want to keep it as my wife sometimes does drive the car, and with her cruising the car.... traction control is actually a good idea. so im asking what are your experiences with a spool and traction control. the good the bad? ive heard conflicting stories.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:51 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

My concern would be the spool vs wife.
Traction control won't save her in all situations (with a spool).
Old 03-23-2011, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why is a spool a must with 471/467? No offense what so ever, those are nice numbers but thats not that much power. Why not go with a billet clutch posi, or even better, a wavetrac? I'm not sure if the billet clutch posi is exclusive to MWC but that's where mine is from. I'd give them a call, you might be better off going with something besides a spool.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:58 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

With 471/467 the Trac-loc at this link would do very well for you. http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-9-I...c-Truetrac.htm Here is a link to it. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 03-24-2011, 06:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah spool is not the obvious choice here i don't think. Especially if you intend to street drive the car much.

I've also found the TCS to be dangerous. I had a situation where i had to make an evasive maneuver, and stomped on it, broke traction, car fell flat on its face, and i almost got tboned. I hate how the TCS works in these cars.

That being said, i still have it on my car, cause I'm a fan of keeping all of the car's options in tact, but I'm just saying don't rely on TCS to save the wife. I think it does more damage than good.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Although i suppose it does stop her from doing a huge burnout and wiping the car out. But i'm not sure that the TCS or ABS would function correctly with a spool, being that it causes both rear axles to be locked together.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the wave trac is what? an 800.00 option? with the price of the rear itself, a TQ arm, and panhard rod, the wave trac option is out of my budget. I do want to take the car to the track. sorry i should have mentioned that in the original post. from the threads ive been reading about the trutrac, 450+ hp makes these things go bad 1st or 2nd time at the track with some sticky tires. I wasnt coming in here to glorify my hp level, i was merely asking peoples experience with TCS and a spool. A locker is also out of the question (M6). the TCS was a factory option in the car and id like to keep the car like that. It also keeps the Mrs in check, letting her know its not her subaru and she cant mash on it at the stop lights
Old 03-24-2011, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah wavetrac is about $800, but its got a lifetime warranty. It is pricey, hence why i didn't do it on my build, everything else adds up, i'll most likely get a wavetrac later though.
How about the billet clutch posi unit?
Old 03-24-2011, 09:18 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have some TCS with spools and seen no issues what so ever, how ever the situation is both wheels being locked at the same time confuses the system as to what is actually going on and can cause an issue. (simply put)
Old 03-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SSdreamz
the wave trac is what? an 800.00 option? with the price of the rear itself, a TQ arm, and panhard rod, the wave trac option is out of my budget.
Whats your wife and car worth if you were to lose or disable both?

I've known people who claim to have daily driven spools for 30+ years with no problem, then one day just "something in the road" and they're wrecked.

If your wifes safety is out of your budget you need to do some more thinking.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:14 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

The Truetrac use to be a really good differential, but the company was sold back in 05 or 06 and it hasn't been the same since. I don't know what they did to it but my customers started having problems with them. Even cars with basically stock horsepower have been breaking them. The Trac-loc though, has been working great and they don't break. I highly recommend going with the Trac-loc when the car is under 600 hp. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 03-25-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
Whats your wife and car worth if you were to lose or disable both?

I've known people who claim to have daily driven spools for 30+ years with no problem, then one day just "something in the road" and they're wrecked.

If your wifes safety is out of your budget you need to do some more thinking.
so what exactly are you saying?? if i skip on a wave trac and go with a spool, i have a better chance of losing both versus going with the wave trac? as anyone knows, anything can happen whenever. you must be retarded to say that my wifes life is out of my budget as with all of our cars, everything has a budget.

reguardless, tell me more about the billet clutch posi... perhaps the trac loc is a better option. is that diff limited to certain spline count?
Old 03-25-2011, 06:11 PM
Banned

so what exactly are you saying?? if i skip on a wave trac and go with a spool, i have a better chance of losing both versus going with the wave trac? as anyone knows, anything can happen whenever. you must be retarded to say that my wifes life is out of my budget as with all of our cars, everything has a budget.

reguardless, tell me more about the billet clutch posi... perhaps the trac loc is a better option. is that diff limited to certain spline count?
You're asking.
so im asking what are your experiences with a spool and traction control. the good the bad?
Sure anything can happen whenever, but that doesn't mean you make a habit of running every redlight you see.

Everything increases the odds of something bad happening, and letting your wife drive with a spool might not be the best choice. Sorry for caring.

Quick Reply: spool and traction control