Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Think I've lost the LSD...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Think I've lost the LSD...

Ok, my car (99 TA) started making an interesting regular clunk yesterday.. at roughly driveshaft speed I'd say, I've heard cars with something broken b4, and this sounds like one... in coast/light drive it stops..

I quickly jacked it up & checked nothing was falling off (it wasn't) but I noticed the following things:

I can turn either wheel without the other one turning (in neutral, it's manual). That says somethings screwed to me, correct? (I've read of the Torsen's losing bolts etc..)

But I also noticed that both rear wheels have significant play (you can 'rock' a wheel noticably) and also that they have some in/out end play (which I suspect might be normal). But surely I shouldn't be able to rock it at all, no matter what kind of wheel bearings it has?? Bearing in mind that it's bolted to an about 3 foot steel bar (the axle) I don't see how it would <rock> even if the wheel bearing was a bit shot!

..and.. I noticed that the propshaft where it enters gearbox has a small amount of side play as well, although it doesn't leak etc. Mind you the 'ol think has done 120k miles. Is it normal for there to be any play here?

Thanks in advance for all advice! (apart from "get a new axle ..." )

kr D.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There really shouldn't be any play. You probably need to pull the cover and go in for an inspection. Somethings not right either way if the wheels are free spinning and its not an open diff.

I have a stock Eaton posi around if you just want to replace it. It works great. Well enough to break the ring gear all it pieces.