Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Shortened axles...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shortened axles...

What advantages and disadvantages are there to installing a shortened axle into a fourth gen F-body? When I say narrowed I mean only 2 inches at most without having to minitub it and the wheels will be offset to fit 11 inch wide wheels so that they do NOT stick out past the fender. Your serious input is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 03-29-2011, 05:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

The rear would weigh slightly less being narrowed, and will allow a wider rim without have to run an offset (opposite of a deep-dish) wheel. The only problem that I see is it wouldn't allow you to run stock wheels should you ever need to. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 03-29-2011, 11:00 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bluey2kz28
What advantages and disadvantages are there to installing a shortened axle into a fourth gen F-body? When I say narrowed I mean only 2 inches at most without having to minitub it and the wheels will be offset to fit 11 inch wide wheels so that they do NOT stick out past the fender. Your serious input is much appreciated.

Thanks,

The most common narrow is -3 per side. There is no need for mini-tub even at -4.5 per side even... its all just difference in wheel backspacing. We can usually adjust the housing width to accommodate any set of wheels, or we can get you into a matched rearend and wheel package from Weld, Billet Specialties, or Holeshot.
The thing with 11" wheels and keeping them inside the fender lip is the bumpstop clearance. Most people are just removing the bumpstop and mount with a sawzall and get plenty of space to make it work.

Give us a call... we have a package special on a rearend and a set of Billet Specialties Street Lite 17" wheels right now.