Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

gear whine help

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gear whine help

Hey guys, I could use a bit of help here on a gear whine problem on an A4 2.73 geared car. I have done some reading and searching, which has made me consider other possibilities, but I am not experienced at troubleshooting this. I have a loud gear whine that started all of a sudden on a hard acceleration (this is bad, I know). I pulled the cover off the rear. Fluid was low. I saw no damage to ring gear teeth, or pinion as far as I could see with the carrier installed. No metal shavings/pieces in there. The first thing I thought of was that things got too hot and I warped things. But, the whine does not pulsate. I have never had pinion or wheel bearings go bad, so I am not sure quite what they sound like when bad. Could the axles themselves be damaged, with chipped/broken teeth? The whine is constant and gets louder and increases in pitch as speed increases. The whine is less noticeable under initial acceleration from a stand still, then whines at all speeds (proportionally). Thanks for any advice.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Launching!

so, I went out and drove the car again after putting the cover back on and adding lube, this time at higher speeds (~45mph). The noise is not anywhere near as pronounced as it was. Still a very noticeable whine. I drove it immediately after filling it yesterday, and after hearing a whine start at 20mph, I brought it straight home. I cannot tell any difference in turns. At times, the whining noise starts to cut out, like it wants to stop. It keeps going of course.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

sounds like you're in need of gears. if its during accel or decel it usually is the gears. if it was the bearing it should be at all times I would think.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Make sure you put the additive in the rear with the fliud. It coats the metal and they don't touch.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have two choices. A rebuild, which is not worth it on a stock 10 bolt, or live with it. My Strange 12 bolt howls like a scalded dog, doesn't bother me at all.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Launching!

The problem with living with it is that I am worried about something breaking and leaving me stranded. I'll probably wind up changing gears and everything, but I would like to know what the actual problem is first. When I say the noise cuts out, it is more of a sputter. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Launching!

Why was it low on lube, axel seals or cover plate? Either way, it got quieter when you added lube and the damage is done. You might want to check your limited slip as well for wear? I wouldn't write off the 10 bolt if you are close to stock and not on the track BTW.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Heres your first problem...You have 2:73s.
Get rid of those shitty gears, and get some 3:73s.
You'll wonder why you even tried to save/figure out the problem with your 2:73s
Old 04-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by justin hover
Heres your first problem...You have 2:73s.
Get rid of those shitty gears, and get some 3:73s.
You'll wonder why you even tried to save/figure out the problem with your 2:73s
lol!
yes, I know - 2.73's have to buisiness being in a sports car like this, but that is just my opinion. 2.73's are for caprice classics and such. So, it was a matter of time for a gear change to occur. I was just not quite ready yet - wanting to do some other things first. I still want to do some suspension upgrades. Looks like the rear comes first now, though. Seeing as how I do not have the money for a 9" or a 12 bolt, I'm going to get some motive performance gears, a girdle, and maybe some new axle shafts. This car does not see the track hardly at all, so I think I'll be alright. As long at things are set up properly of course.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

with an a4 you'll be fine with the 3:73s and love them for dd, I never track my car, but it's one fun dd... I'll get a 9 or 12 when my rear brakes, no need to fix what isn't broke, I take it pretty easy for dd so I'm sure my 10bolt will hold up just fine for a few years...and yes, pair the gears with alittle suspension..
Old 04-16-2011, 03:59 PM
Launching!

yep, I am looking forward to how it is going to drive after this