Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

4ch. to 3ch.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4ch. to 3ch.

I finally muffed my factory 10 bolt and since its my DD i need it back on the road and don't care about Traction Control. I picked up a 3ch. out of a 95 car non TC. What do i need to do to swap to the 3ch. and keep ABS?
Old 04-14-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

A 3 channel car and a 4 channel car are totally different in control/circuits and not compatable with each other. ABS & Traction Control are controlled/sensed by the same sensors. In order to keep ABS,you have to keep Traction Control. You would need your 4 channel axles,backing plates w/sensors installed in/on your replacement rearend.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dwfronk
I finally muffed my factory 10 bolt and since its my DD i need it back on the road and don't care about Traction Control. I picked up a 3ch. out of a 95 car non TC. What do i need to do to swap to the 3ch. and keep ABS?
The 3 ch has a tone ring by the ring gear & sensor on top of the housing. The 4 ch has the tone rings on the axles behind the wheels studs & sensors in the backing plates.
Switch backing plates & axles from your old rear to the new one & you should be all set.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
The 3 ch has a tone ring by the ring gear & sensor on top of the housing. The 4 ch has the tone rings on the axles behind the wheels studs & sensors in the backing plates.
Switch backing plates & axles from your old rear to the new one & you should be all set.
correct to mondo. hope your stock axles are okay
Old 04-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Launching!

Ok So all i need to do is pull my stock axles and backing plates from the old one to the new one and everything will be good to go. I keep the tone ring in the 3ch. rear end just because its made to be there correct?

And yea my Stock axles are good i pulled the cover off the other day to see exactly what i did and it just broke 1 of the 4 bolts the the plate that bolts to the diff. and was catching on the bolts that bolt the ring gear on and getting wedged between them and the housing. Did a number to my TA cover though but can I salvage it.

Last edited by dwfronk; 04-16-2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: typo