Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Broke driveshaft or u-joint

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004 | 02:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Broke driveshaft or u-joint

Just got home from the track and havent had time or light to inspect the damage but looks like I just snapped the u-joint. The car is an M6, spec stg 3 clutch, stock driveshaft, stock 10bolt with stock 3.42 gears and nitto 16" DR's. I went to the track on wednesday and did a few 3k launches, everything seemed to hold up just fine, I was only cutting 2.10 60' times. I wanted to get those 60' times down but knew I should launch much harder than that. Well tonight I launched at or around 2,500rpm and something on the driveshaft snapped. It looked like just the u-joint and hopefuly will be replaceable. I'll have more info tomorrow. Any recomendations to prevent this from happening in the future? I probably wont go back to the track until I have a 12bolt since thats what I was expecting to break, but if I'm going to have to worry about u-joints.....hopefully there is an upgrade for that as well. Also, worst case senario if I need to replace the driveshaft, how much is a stock one if I can't find one used, or how much would a used one go for. Should I look into an aftermarket one and if so, will it work with a 12bolt. BTW, I pick up bits and pieces everynow and then about people needing new driveshafts with 12bolts. I seem to hear this about moser, is this limited to only moser, and I take it its not all of their units, or seems I would hear about it more often. Anyhow just curious. Thanks
Old 02-21-2004 | 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast