Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

U joint bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 02:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U joint bad?

How can you tell if a u joint is going bad? I am hearing a "clunk" every now and then when putting the car in 1st grear. I put new motor and trans mounts on, had the rear pinion seal replaced and installed an ls7 clutch kit over the winter if that matters.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

If a u joint is causing the clucking sound, you can normally grab the driveshaft and rotate it back and forth, and see the play in the u joint. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 04-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Restricted User

Take the shaft in one hand and hold the end yoke in the other, turn them opposite of eachother and look for any play....

Do the same at the slip yoke.

If neither show signs of looseness, then remove the shaft if you suspect it still and check for seized movement on one plane.

Being you had the pin seal changed did they put the end yoke back properly, either resetting the pre-load or making sure they put the exact pressure it had on it back...
Old 04-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info and I was hearing the noise before the pin seal was replace. The dealership did a gerneral inspection after installing it and did not say anything about the U joint being bad. I will get the car up in the air soon and check it out for myself.

Quick Reply: U joint bad?