Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Replacing Busted Rear End 01 WS6

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing Busted Rear End 01 WS6

I have a stock 2001 WS6 which I was driving today when the rear end decided to lock up as I was traveling at highway speeds needless to say it is now time to replace.

My question is what should I do as far as fixing this issue? I dont have a ton of money to spend on this issue right now but I think I would be a fool to throw another stock rear end back in it. What is everyones advice?
Old 04-27-2011, 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, dumping money into the stock rear end is ultimately a waste. I'd recommended stepping up to a Midwest Chassis Fab 9" or a Moser 9". But being as you said "I dont have a ton of money to spend", that really depends on your budget. So what's the budget?

A. Spend ~$3000 on a 9" and do right the first time and never have it break.

B. Spend ~$500 to fix your stock rear and have it break again at anytime.

(Not knowing what kind of damage is on your rear, could be more or less, just throwing that # $500 out there.)
Old 04-27-2011, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 214 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by beck_ws6
I have a stock 2001 WS6 which I was driving today when the rear end decided to lock up as I was traveling at highway speeds needless to say it is now time to replace.

My question is what should I do as far as fixing this issue? I dont have a ton of money to spend on this issue right now but I think I would be a fool to throw another stock rear end back in it. What is everyones advice?

Depends on what you use the car for? Is this a manual or an automatic? Are you the original owner? If not, did the previous owner drag race it?
Old 04-27-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can find a used ls1 10 bolt for $250.swap over your backing plates and all other hard ware.get the right channel rear end,you probably have a 4 channel for traction control.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he could get into a 9" for less than $3000. Give MWC a call they may be able to get you into something that fits your budget. If they can't the quick performance 9" rears look like a great budget 9". For less than $1000 you can get the QP 9" housing and axles. then if you don't want to spend much more than $1000 you can go get a junk yard 3rd member untill you have money for a decent 3rd member.

The MWC 9" isn't for everyone, but it is the best bang for the buck! I guess it just depends on your budget. I talked with quick performance when i was shopping for a rear end, and they were real friendly and answered all my questions, but in the end i just wanted the best possible rear end available for my car, so I went with MWC.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry so long for the reply guys its been hectic here. Thank You for all the great replies and advice.

@lees02WS6
I am the second owner of the car. Before I had it some little girl owned it and put bout 40k on it. I seriously doubt she dragged it. It is an automatic though and currently I use it for a daily driver but Im trying to get away for that to answer your other questions.

@everyone
I think Im gonna end up going with a 9" MOSER that I found for around 2000$ after shipping. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Replacing Busted Rear End 01 WS6