Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Will a Moser 12 bolt 3 channel work with 4 channel wiring harness?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 01:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a Moser 12 bolt 3 channel work with 4 channel wiring harness?

Ok I picked up a Moser 12 bolt originally from a 2000 Trans Am and when I went to install it today I noticed its not the same wiring and setup as my 2000 Firehawk. It has the sensors for the reluctor rings but no reluctor rings behind the rotor. It also has the 3 channel plug on top of the differential. The previous owner gave me the harness but its for the 4 channel ABS/TCS setup like I have. How did this previous guy use this with it working right? Am i safe to use it for now or should I put it in my 84 Z28? Lol. Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:48 AM
Teching In

I really dont want to take the axles out or buy new ones to accept the reluctor wheels. I want to retain my ABS but traction control doesnt matter. Is there a way I can use the spare $ channel factory harness and splice it to accomidate the 3 chaneel sensor on top of the differential?
Old 04-29-2011, 04:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sgt.56
I really dont want to take the axles out or buy new ones to accept the reluctor wheels. I want to retain my ABS but traction control doesnt matter. Is there a way I can use the spare $ channel factory harness and splice it to accomidate the 3 chaneel sensor on top of the differential?
from all I've read on this you cannot tap into the 3 ch center sensor for a 4ch car
the 3 ch reluctor count is wrong for your 4 ch PCM

if your car has wires to ABS sensors at each axle - you need the axle reluctors to trigger your PCM

hopefully the 12 bolt axles are machined for them, then it won't be too bad.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

Your 2000 firehawk 4 channel system uses the axle/backing plate sensors to control/operate/sense both ABS and Traction Control. The electronics/system are not compatable with a 3 channel system. If you use it,you will not have ABS & TC and your ABS/TC dash lights will be on. No amount of 'electrical splicing' will get it to work.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:38 AM
Teching In

Well that sucks. I'm going to install it anyway and see later on about the reluctors from Moser. I checked the axles and they look like they are machined for the reluctors but again I'm not sure. I will get some pics up and see what you guys think. I went on their website and didn't notice them as seperate parts to purchase. The axles installed are 33 spline. I will call Moser and see about the reluctors and get some pictures to make sure they are machined. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:48 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt.56
Well that sucks. I'm going to install it anyway and see later on about the reluctors from Moser. I checked the axles and they look like they are machined for the reluctors but again I'm not sure. I will get some pics up and see what you guys think. I went on their website and didn't notice them as seperate parts to purchase. The axles installed are 33 spline. I will call Moser and see about the reluctors and get some pictures to make sure they are machined. Thanks.
If the axles are machined for reluctor rings you can pop them off a 4 channel set of 10 bolt axles and use them on your axles. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: Will a Moser 12 bolt 3 channel work with 4 channel wiring harness?