Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

SLP take-off Zexel

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SLP take-off Zexel

what is this for?

will it convert the 98's posi-clutch
to posi-gears?

what is it for?
Old 02-22-2004, 03:47 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

They're for when you upgrade to 3 series gears and you don't want to use "thick gears." By using this diff, you can use original GM gears to go to 3.42s, for instance - like I am. It does use internal gears instead of clutches for the posi function, and thus the noise that everybody complains about.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

alright, so far "SLP take-off Zexel" will convert (or replace) my carrier to a series three, AND convert (or replace) my posi to "gear-that-might-break" instead of "clutch-that-will-wear-out"? wouldnt i need a whole new differential to accomplish this?

if this is the case, i am all over it.
anyone know where is the place to go for the SLP takeoff Zexel and the good 3.42s?
anything else i am forgetting? royal purple or redline juice?
do i really need to supply the installer a "deluxe install kit"?
shouldnt he have what he needs?
Old 02-23-2004, 09:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Stone0fFire
alright, so far "SLP take-off Zexel" will convert (or replace) my carrier to a series three, AND convert (or replace) my posi to "gear-that-might-break" instead of "clutch-that-will-wear-out"? wouldnt i need a whole new differential to accomplish this?
Ok, the Differential is the carrier in this situation. What they refer to by saying a series 3 carrier is a carrier that can carry a 3.23+ ratio gear. In the situation of most rear axles found in passenger cars is the carrier is integrated into the differential, IE the ring gear bolts to the differential and the carrier is part of the diff. Making sense??? Some larger applications use a separate carrier and differential setup like tractor trailer rearends, (but I have never personally seen this) I hope this is making sense to you.

As for the install basics. You can get Richmond or GM motive gears or strange gears. All three seem to be good. As for the other basics needed. You should probiably get new carrier bearings for the OEM takeoff Zexel. They are shipped with bearings but the races aren't there. You could just probiably reuse your original races but to do it properly I should replace the bearings. Not sure what the bearings cost but it shouldn't be more than $40 for the pair and that is a high estimate. You will also need a new crush colar, (which your installer should know about). That should about sum it up. You can get a OEM takeoff Zexel from SLP which the website is www.slponline.com I hope this helps man

Last edited by kossuth; 02-23-2004 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:34 PM
TECH Resident

gears, zexel, bearings, crush collar.
just got the car back with the SS4000/2.6
i went from 3400 to 4000,
but since i am going from 2.0 to 2.6 STR,
i figured it would almost even out or not be so bad
WRONG!
feels like ive got a graphite clutch.
for sure im getting 3.73 now!
now that the car is running like ****,
i am ordering this crap as soon as i finish this reply!

thanks guys for answering all my q's
this and the last gear thread i had.
=)
Old 02-23-2004, 11:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I shreaded my 10 bolt on the freeway speedshifting to 4th with my Spec stage 3 carbon clutch on bald Goodyear F1s I had it rebuilt with a take-off SLP unit just to get me by until Rapid could work over the new H/C, ram clutch, and Moser 12 bolt