Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Anyone want to check a pattern and give me feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone want to check a pattern and give me feedback?

Hey guys, first rear end I am setting up from scratch and it is a 7.5" 10-bolt out of a '95 Camaro Z28...

It was previously setup with a set of motive street gears (blue box) with a Eaton HD posi... Upon tear-down I found the pinion was installed wrong, the crush sleeve was reused and not so surprizingly all the bearings had virtually no pre-load on them... I did not do this setup, as I got the rear second-hand...

So, I decided to start from scratch. I decided to keep the Eaton posi since it has less than 30k miles on it, but dumped everything else in the rear end... It is getting new Moser axles, new Timken bearings, new Motive 3.73 Performance gears (orange box), and a Ratech solid pinion spacer... I also welded up the axle tubes and installed a LPW ultimate cover and brace kit... So I am thinking this setup, for a street car that will only see the track once or twice, EVER, as well as have street tires, at most Nitto drag radials, usually Sumitomo HTR Z IIIs, it should last quite nicely...

Now, I purchased a pinion depth setting tool, and man what a PITA it is to use... But affter a few hours of messing around with it, I was able to get it consistent and measure the pinion depth at 2.292-2.293... The top of the pinion called out for a pinion depth of 2.292, so I figured it is all good there...
I will say the Ratech solid pinion spacer sucks and it *DOES* crush slightly, anywhere from .004-.012" depending on how much torque you apply (used an impact wrench)... So, after much screwing around with that I finally got that in and set with 23-25 in/lbs of pinion preload. Final pinion shim used was 2x.018 for .036" total.

Next I setup the carrier and installed it so I have .007" of backlash. Motives instructions call for .007-.009" backlash, even tho the ring gear has a 0.006 engraved into it. I figure that it is allowable to have .007" with even a .006" spec, so I left it... I had to tap in the drivers side carrier shim, so I figure I am all good on the carrier... I have about 37-40 in/lbs total preload needed from the pinion with the carrier in place and bolted down.

So, that brings us to the topic of my post, here is the resulting patterns:

Drive:

Coast:

Any feedback on these patterns, or anything else, would be appreciated.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Looks pretty nice to me........sounds like you did your homework. I'd run it.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Looks pretty nice to me....whats your backlash?
Backlash is at .007".
Old 05-17-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Edited, I read the post this time
Old 05-17-2011, 09:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good, run it. I like the Yukon spacer better. It will not crush on you.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
Looks good, run it. I like the Yukon spacer better. It will not crush on you.
I didn't even know they sold one... The more I hear about the Yukon stuff, the more interested I am in running thier gear at some point...

Even tho, I must say, the Ratech solid spacer was actually easy to setup once you understood how much it crushes... It is like a crush-sleeve to a certain degree and takes some of the constant swapping around... But I don't know how much I would have liked running it if it wasn't crushed at all, as I think I would be concerned it would crush some during a hard launch when it really hooks... I think it was also due to the design of the Motive pinion, as the shoulder that the pinion spacer sits on has a beveled edge and that is what keeps it from crushing further... If the shoulder was flat all the way out I think it would have kept the pinion spacer solid... I do think Ratech could tighten up the sleeve a bit to compensate as well...