Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Thinking of building an 8.8

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking of building an 8.8

So I've been kicking around the idea of putting a 8.8 in my car for a little while now. I've been checking craigslist and such for doner 8.8's and ten bolts. I had planned making a hybrid with ten bolt tubes to keep the stock brakes. Then I realized I wouldn't be able to use C-clip eliminators on it. I would like to keep the parking brakes. Anyone have any idea's for a rear brake setup? Probably use Brembo four piston calipers, just looking for idea's.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:00 PM
Banned

lol i just posted a thread like this
Old 05-24-2011, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

If I had to do the 8.8 swap again, I would keep the ford axle in full. A mustang axle would be a couple inches shorter, allowing for deep dish wheels (Which I like). Also the mustang brakes EASILY clear 15s. I would just swap brackets over and adapt ford brakes. Just my .02

-Will
Old 05-24-2011, 02:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wfritts911
If I had to do the 8.8 swap again, I would keep the ford axle in full. A mustang axle would be a couple inches shorter, allowing for deep dish wheels (Which I like). Also the mustang brakes EASILY clear 15s. I would just swap brackets over and adapt ford brakes. Just my .02

-Will
I hear ya there. How does the Mustang parking brake work? I am not to worried about brake clearance with 18's. They already have a three inch dish in the rear but it sits perfect with the quarter right now. Shorter axle would tuck them in.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Well for me focusing more on drag racing, brakes that clear a 15 easily would have been the smart way to go for me Swapping the tubes wasn't bad, but I cant stress enough measure measure measure. Also when you take your axles to a machine shop to get sleeves made, make sure the 10 bolt tubes are the length you are going to need them. I took mine just the length I cut them off at and had sleeves made, well when I trimmed them up to be the right length, they got bigger, making the sleeves very loose.

-Will
Old 05-24-2011, 02:53 PM
12 Second Club

Well for me focusing more on drag racing, brakes that clear a 15 easily would have been the smart way to go for me Swapping the tubes wasn't bad, but I cant stress enough measure measure measure. Also when you take your axles to a machine shop to get sleeves made, make sure the 10 bolt tubes are the length you are going to need them. I took mine just the length I cut them off at and had sleeves made, well when I trimmed them up to be the right length, they got bigger, making the sleeves very loose.

-Will
They would make nice drag brakes. I think they are solid rotors too aren't they? I'm kicking around a few ideas now.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Yup solid rotors. Hey what mods did you have to get that 12.08? That bout where I hope to be at the end of this summer.

-Will
Old 05-24-2011, 04:03 PM
12 Second Club

Yup solid rotors. Hey what mods did you have to get that 12.08? That bout where I hope to be at the end of this summer.

-Will
PM coming your way.