Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Shock angle is out of whack after 12-bolt

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shock angle is out of whack after 12-bolt

This 12-bolt has done nothing but **** me off. I can't figure out what the hell is going on here. I have a UMI chassis mount TQ arm with the angle set at -2*, the adjustable control arms are set to factory length, sportlines, and the shocks are summit 3 ways (the CE knock offs), which worked fine with the 10-bolt. The wheels are centered in the wheel well, so adjusting the control arms is out. I do have a set of LCA brackets that have yet to be put on the car, but I doubt that would be the issue... could be wrong though.

I can not figure out why the hell my shocks have such an angle to them. This has to stress the bolt. Any ideas?

Old 06-27-2011, 07:13 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

From the pictures it looks like there is too much negative angle to the rear. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 06-27-2011, 08:23 AM
11 Second Club

I suggest you do as Bob suggests and check the pinon angle
If I remember correctly my 9" were at a angle and were rubbing the side of the shocks. We see you have the jack under the rear (correct) and not on the frame, my question how is the angle with all 4 wheels setting on level ground.
I do not remember who sells the little shock adpator to adapt the lower mounting point . I fabed mine up my self, I did mine not only to change the mount angle but I am lowered 1 3/4 - 2 " around and bult them with a 2" offset now able to use stock leight shocks.
Johnny

Last edited by SS SLP2; 06-27-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:31 AM
11 Second Club

here you go "Explorer Pro Comp 690001 Stem Mount to Eyelet Shock Adapter" $21.xx just google, if I post link some one may kick me
this may not answer the "why" but will help the shock mount angle
Johnny
Old 06-27-2011, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

The pinion is set at true -2 via Madman advise on setting it. Also, this is exactly the same as if it were on the ground. I have the car in the air and the suspension loaded since the pumpkin is the lift point. Lifting the car from the frame would unload the suspension...

I'm thinking the LCA's need to be adjusted out some now that I look at it.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Coal Mining Director

If the LCA's are pointing downward, adjusting them longer will make it worse. Center the rear with the panhard first. Then square the rear with the LCA's. Make sure the springs are in the proper location in the sockets.

Then check the suspension for binding by jacking it up by the diff and set the frame on jack stands and slowly lower the rear and watch for binding.

Then set the pinion angle.

How are you setting the pinion angle?