Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

t56 slip yoke travel question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default t56 slip yoke travel question

I am building a ls1/t56 bmw. I had the driveshaft made up at a local shop. There was a mis-communication when the fab guy made it up and it looks to me to be slightly too short but i am not experienced in what is ok for these slip yokes. I have read somewhere that too little insertion depth can lead to issues. The car has independent rear suspension fixed on stiff poly bushing as well as the engine and tranny. So the distance between the tranny and diff should be almost constant. The slip yoke is the standard 3.5inch length and there is about 1-5/8 of slip travel currently.

Dose the shaft look fine to use? or should i get the guy to make me another one? Am I foolish to think of finding a longer slip yoke to solve the problem?

any input would be great

thanks
Old 07-27-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always heard that when the driveshaft is installed,,,That it needs to have 1 inch of forward travel before bottoming out in the trans.. Hope this helps
Old 08-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Denny's Driveshafts recommends 3/4" to 1" travel and never use longer yoke to makeup travel.

Quick Reply: t56 slip yoke travel question