Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Worst that can happen?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 09:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Worst that can happen?

Hello all,

Debating going to the test-and-tune next weekend at the local track (SGMP) for the first time in my SS and I'm a little apprehensive - long story short, I used to drag race a C5 and some unexpected wheel hop on a street tire run took out BOTH my transmission and the entire rear end assembly. Not fun and not cheap.

I know the stock rear ends on these cars are crap, and my question is whether any such catastrophic scenario can occur with a close to stock power level F-body on street tires? If the worst that can happen is that I blow out my ring and pinion and have to be towed home then that's not bad since it's not my daily driver and I have been looking for an excuse to upgrade to a 9" anyway.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Tommy
Old 08-07-2011, 06:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had my car to the track a couple of times and have had no wheel hop problems, I can't hook up out of the hole though. I have 275/40-17 Continental Extreme Contacts with stock ride height with no wheel hop on the street also. I think when people lower their car it changes the angle of the LCA so they use the relocation brackets to help eliminate wheel hop and hook better.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a stock rear end, with stock gears.. Full bolt ons, and 125 shot.. The car has a stock clutch in it (not original, just stock) and i've gont 1.7 60's and I havent had issues with rear yet. I know I need to knock on some wood.. But I think my clutch is the reason my rear end holds up.. Doesnt shock the rear like if I had a big Spec in it.. It just depends on what kinda tire, clutch, gear setup you have as to how hard you shock the rear. And a lot of folks say that they break stuff on the 1-2 shift..
Old 08-08-2011, 01:51 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unless you dead hook i doubt itll break. and like he said the clutch makes a world of difference. a buddy of mine put a nice spec in his car and went through 3 ring and pinions. on street tires i wouldnt worry though.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The worst that can happen is the same thing that happened to the Vette! Go have fun anyway!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

M6s are super drivetrain-destructive so anything can happen. I would say as long as you aren't trying to do He-man launches you should be fine. And remember, M6s can break a rear end on hard shifts as well so take it a little easy and you'll be ok.