Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need help with driveshaft measurements

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 02:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Need help with driveshaft measurements

Hey guys I'm a little confused on finding the right driveshaft for my car. I have a '85 camaro with a ls1/th400/10 bolt. Since my old driveline was too short I measured from the pinion yoke to the transmission output shaft and got 46 3/4"

Now I've seen a few camaro driveshafts for sale that said they are that same 46 3/4" length from "center to center". I'm curious if that length would work, because if thats the measurement from center to center of the ds, don't I have to factor in the extra length of the transmission yoke to go in?

Sorry if it sounds kind of confusing. Basically, if my measurement from the pinion yoke to tranny output shaft is the same as that driveline from center to center, would it work?
Old 08-18-2011, 05:24 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

http://shop.brutespeed.com/PST-3-1-2...Driveshaft.htm

The best method to make sure you get the right length is to go by the "x" dimension that is shown in the above link. Make sure the rear tires are in the loaded position when you take your measurement. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-18-2011, 10:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

That's the exact guide I used to get my measurement and "x" was the 46 3/4".

I'm just saying I seen a sticking for sale that is the same length from center of u-joint to center and wanted to know if that would work. Im curious if the trans yoke adds additional length and will be a tight squeeze
Old 08-18-2011, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i measured mine for the new shafti slid the yoke into the trans where i wanted it to be then measured form the center of the yoke u joint to the face of the pinion....new shaft fit perfect
Old 08-19-2011, 05:15 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by tnmotown
That's the exact guide I used to get my measurement and "x" was the 46 3/4".

I'm just saying I seen a sticking for sale that is the same length from center of u-joint to center and wanted to know if that would work. Im curious if the trans yoke adds additional length and will be a tight squeeze
Transmission yokes can be different lengths, so you need to keep that in mind. You are correct in thinking that you have to factor in the length of the transmission yoke. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website