Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10 bolt build ideas... what do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 bolt build ideas... what do you guys think?

Considering tackling the impossible this winter. Relatively strong 7.5" 10-bolt rear. Will consist of Moser or Alloy axles, mini spool (or welded spider gears in open carrier), chromoly pin, ARP hardware, 3.90 gear, solid pinion spacer, welded tubes, LPW girdle with bracing kit. Should be just enough for my setup and not overkill by any means. Car leaves lazy anyway off the foot brake with a 2.52 first and 28" tire. Opinions (other than it's not worth it)? Should all cost under $800.

Only reason I am considering this is because of my transmission/tire setup and the fact that the car is not a powerhouse. It will at most make 450ish (on the sauce) at the tire through a TH350. I do not have a trans-brake so it will be taking off at approximately 2600-3000 on the foot brake.

What are your thoughts?
Old 10-17-2011, 11:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With a 28 inch tall tire I would think you'd want to use a 4.10 or 4.56. The 3.90 may be a tad stronger than the other gears mentioned but that would be splitting hairs.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:11 AM
TECH Junkie

I am just kind of worried about using a 4.10. I mean, in theory it SHOULD hold since I am not launching it crazy. Cannot see it cutting quicker than a 1.5. I have heard of people cutting as low as 1.3's on the 10 bolt. It should last a good while in the 1.5 range, I hope... I suppose I will go with a 4.10, not much different than a 3.90 right?
Old 10-18-2011, 05:22 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

because you are an auto it will last longer, but have you added up the cost to build a 10 bolt vs the price of buying a used 12 bolt? i have a m6 car so that just wasnt a option for me, also i dont do gears or rearend work, my buddy bought a used 12 bolt for 1300, he put a few bucks in it but now he never has to worry about a rearend, this would be more for you if you were a 6 speed car, since your an auto you should be fine for awhile, but why foot brake? if you have an option on going off a trans brake i would for sure go that route, and key words in your last post ( i hope ) lol, i would just compare cost before,with winter heading this way there will be alot of good deals
Old 10-18-2011, 07:41 AM
TECH Junkie

^ I appreciate the input. The problem I have is funds. I am a jobless, full time student trying to get into med school. I wish I could dig into my school funds but that is just not an option. The main reason I am not going with a trans-brake (cost being another factor) is my car would probably not benefit from it. Different setups respond better to foot braking or flashing as opposed to trans-brake. I make my torque down low so flashing it off the line will work well. Ideally I would like a 9 inch (for the ability to have a couple centers with different setups in them to swap around whenever I like with ease). Unfortunately it will not be a while until I can do that. I could probably just slap a girdle on the rear and it will probably hold, but I currently have 3.23 gears so I need to step that up, and my logic behind this rear end "build" is if I am doing gears, might as well do everything else I can to strengthen it. ::shrug:: I think it could work...

Quick Reply: 10 bolt build ideas... what do you guys think?